HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Rolemasters  (Read 2951 times)

RM-Hreyes

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Rolemasters
« on: Jun 01, 12, 09:57:05 AM »

I was about to paste here the press release I have ready for my game, but I think in these boards people will be more interested in other things than reading another boring press release saying how cool my game is going to be.

So this is what my game will be:

CONCEPT: Fantasy/Medieval game where good races fight against evil races. Basically players will have to level, farm and make quests.

SYSTEM: Maybe here I am a bit more original... well not really. Level based system with skills and talents. Maybe the only point is that there are a whole lot of skills, a whole lot of professions and even more talents. Another good thing about the system is that it has been tested on pen and paper for like 20 years since I developed this system for playing brick and mortar.

COMBAT: Center in your foe, use talent X on it, watch its life go down.

QUESTS: Go to point X, kill N number of Y animals. Go to talk to Z guy.

ECONOMY: Will try to be realistic. I do not like to kill a wolf and get gold in return since wolves have no pockets to keep gold. So basically players will get items from mobs which they can trade in a store based system or sell it to the CPU stores which will pay peanuts.  And yes, the currency will be called gold which is more expensive than silver and cheper than mithril.

CRAFTING: Based on skills.

ENGINE:  HeroCloud

3D ART: I have it already purchased from different sources, mostly 3D markets. I am not talking about purchasing a few characters here, I have bought almost every 3D asset I need for the game (now as a good newbie I need to deal with the importer).

2D ART: I already have a couple of guys who can change the textures so that with a wolf mesh I have a german sheppard, a grey wolf, a white wolf, a dark wolf, an alpha wolf, an alpha white wolf... I think you get the idea. About the HUD, as simple as possible since I want the players to look at the screen and not at the nice HUD. Also Items, but most of them will be captures of the 3D model.

PLAN: I have purchased almost all I need for this, the engine, the 3d models and I have designed the system for 20 years. Now the only thing I need are coders. I am still evaluating the options of hiring them here or using the coders I have used for different projects (although they will need training).

What may be new in these boards is that I have allocated 60% of the total budget not to the game, but to the marketing. I have been working on advertising all kinds of products and trust me, it does not matter the product, it matters how you sell it.

And this is what my game is NOT going to be:

- A competitor of any AAA title. Actually it will not be a competitor of any A title. I would be more than happy if I am in the bulk of B titles.

- An original game: You know? This game is going to cost me what for me is a small fortune. I like to make experiments with soda, not with my money.

- A very beautiful game: I am using the assets anybody can abuy in 3D markets. They are simple but they come with the animations I need and they come rigged in the case I need to make more animations. Anyways, I want that ANY player out there with a low-end computer can play it.

- Another game which is not released.

Hugo
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 12, 10:13:57 AM by hreyes »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Rolemasters
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 12, 09:25:43 AM »

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Just one word of advice, don't get caught up in tuning before making the systems. Let the system implementation take you where it wants to take you, and leave the tuning and balancing and excel spreadsheets for much later in the process.

RM-Hreyes

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 12, 09:33:18 PM »

Appreciate the advice a lot. Actually the game is tuned on the paper... which means absolutely nothing once the system problems arise...

MassDivide

• General Accounts
  • Seals of Avalon - Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 12, 08:47:04 AM »

Take your time. Game design takes years. Especially when your a regular joe on a budget. Heroblade is the best choice for any developer. Big or Small.

RM-Hreyes

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 12, 05:39:21 AM »

A bit more about Rolemasters.

- 20 Classes, already defined. It may be controversial but we will carry on the risk of making a difference between males and females. For example a Sorcerer and a Witch won't be the same.

- 10 Stats: Which will directly affect the skills. As for Example, Strength.

- 168 Skills Already defined, all available to all classes although the cost varies depending on each class/skill pair. As for example, 1 handed slashing weapons.

- 1000+ Talents, already defined: Each Skill will grant talents given a certain level on it is achieved as for example, 2 slash combo.

Innovative points (or at least I have never seen in any other):

Quests depending on skills: Most part of the quests will depend on the skills of the character. For example a level of 100 in History skill will grant a quest to retrieve an ancient artifact lost in the past. (level 100 can be easily attained).

Cooperative Quests: Although a player may attain a quest, most of them will need a party, the others won't need to attain the quest to participate, the player attaining it must invite them.

NO STORES: There won't be any NPCs selling or buying stuff. All the items must be created by players.

NO POWER LEVEL: Killing monsters won't be a decisive factor to level up. Quests are what will make a difference.

Stocked time: This is really the strongest and most addictive point of the game and can not be disclosed here in public on its full, but the point of it is to lure players to login every single day for at least 30m to be able to make the most of the game.

Player Status: Some players will get special status which will grant them power over the game like granting quests or other status to other players and even control the monster spawning to some point. For example a player can be the king of a certain land, until another one dethrones him...

What will make a difference in this game?

MARKETING, me I am myself a marketing guy, experienced in the field of gambling, probably the most competitive online and I also work backed up with a few gambling related guys. That means money. It is oftenly said, a game needs 2 of the 4 following to be a success.

1. A very good product
2. A very well known company name backing it up
3. A good marketing campaign
4. A lot of luck

At least I think I have number 3, and I hope not to need number 4.

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 12, 08:46:42 AM »

I wish you luck.. I too am using role-master as a base, but I heavily modified it.. Also you will learn that some of the systems will not work as well in practice than what is balanced from paper.. However the overall math of the calculations can be modified and used..

I also warn that if you use a system like role-master or d&d or whatever d20/100 system your going to base it off of, you better get a license for it...  Even with my huge amount of modifications, I am still discussing with a attorney on wether I still need to get some kind of license due to the derivative works clause on their intellectual property...

Ask the guys from Simu about this, for I think it got them when they did gemstone.. In any case my advice is to really look into this prior to releasing and making money from your game..
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC