HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Character animation/movement bugged  (Read 2907 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
[Resolved] Character animation/movement bugged
« on: Nov 27, 12, 06:31:09 PM »

Greetings,

Our 2 new experienced coding engineers have discovered a problem with our shard. The character animation, stance and movement have become bugged.

Basically, when you log in, it looks like the character is all squashed down into a flat disk on the floor. Add to that, the w,a,s,d controls wont move the character properly. Its like the character only wants to move backwards.

I have checked the error console, and i see these errors. Would anyone know if this would effect the character animation/movement?

!ERROR!System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /fem_ip_3a.dat
!ERROR!System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /val_test_4.dat
!ERROR!System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /character/dynamic_2/human/male/male.dat
!WARNING!CustomSkeleton::MorphSkeleton_DetermineTargetModels:skeletonBlend(largehuman) has weight 1.000000, becomes fullOnSkeleton(133250ac)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 12, 09:06:15 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Character animation/movement bugged
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:39:39 PM »

You have character files loaded that are missing or broken. The simplest first step is the errors below that show that the dat files can't be found for the three characters you tried to load. I would suggest your experienced coding engineers talk to whomever on your team is importing art assets. :-)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:45:09 PM »

We havent recently changed anything to do with character art assets. The only thing that has been imported in the last couple of months is a few building models. Also This error seems to have simply shown up over night without us having touched anything. Strange. Nothing has been added/changed/deleted to make this happed to the standard character that came with hero.

I am the only person importing and deleting art assets, and the only thing ive imported around the same time as the error started was a building mesh, i put this into a folder that ive allways been using before this breakage occured.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 12, 06:47:25 PM by Prometheus2012 »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:48:04 PM »

Would you like to place a wager on what files have been modified if I go into your world right now and look at your repository and your script edit history?

You have 2 new "coding engineers" and they haven't made any modifications? :-)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:54:56 PM »

On 11.22.2012 MBLASK@GMX.DE modified everyone of your character and NPC character controllers. That might be a good place to start.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:56:52 PM »

When he found this issue, he spent 2 hours looking for what could be causing it with no luck. That is why it shows that he has been into everyone of those scripts. He logged on and it was just as it was. Im not saying he didnt change something that would have caused this, but shouldnt it have been immediatly evident that there was an issue, therefore he would have just reverted the last script that he changed to cause this issue...if it was him that did it.

Thanks Cooper.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 12, 07:00:25 PM by Prometheus2012 »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 12, 07:03:37 PM »

How would we go about reverting those character and NPC controllers to a previous version if they are broken in some way.

I cant find anything on the wiki or the forums detailing where to find some sort of file or script history. Would appreciate some help, as we cant just magically know how to do this. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 12, 07:21:37 PM by Prometheus2012 »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 12, 07:53:48 PM »

Take a look at this part of the page on the script editor:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Script_Editor#Tools

It shows how to setup an external diff program.  p4merge is recommended; others can work, but you would need to figure out what to enter for the lines in the options dialog.

The p4merge download can be found here:
http://www.perforce.com/downloads/complete_list

Choose your platform and OS, then under Clients you will see P4Merge: Visual Merge Tool.  Beside it you will see a green "Accept and Download" button.

When you install, you really only need the P4Merge program and can leave out other components of the installation, since submitting the scripts to the repo is done through the Script Editor.

After that is installed and the options in the script editor are set, open the script history (Ctrl-H) and double click any version to open a diff of that version versus the last one submitted.  The older one will be listed under "Other".  If you have any changes saved but not submitted, yet, you can double click the latest version in the history to compare that to the unsubmitted changes.

NOTE: Occasionally, you might double-click a version and a popup says, "No such version".  In that case, try double-clicking another version, particularly the latest one, then go back to the original attempt.

The HeroWiki mentions being able to single-click any version to be able to compare it to any other version, but that does not appear to work.  You can only compare to the latest submitted one.

You can also right-click a file in the repo browser and select an option to view its history, where you can restore old versions of repo files.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 12, 07:58:28 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 12, 08:34:09 AM »

Whoa, nice answer there Scott. With knowledge and a willingness to help out those that are less adept than you, you should be working for the HE team by now ;)

Ill pass this info along to our coders. Hopefully we can get our server back to the way it was before. Thanks Scott.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 12, 12:12:29 PM »

Meh, I'm just a know-it-all who's worked too long in this engine and likes to show off. :P

I met Cooper briefly earlier this year and he's a good and knowledgeable guy who puts in even more time on these forums then me and is really quite helpful.  They deal with (I think) 1000's of groups using Hero which can get rather stressful, so you can forgive him if he is a bit terse at times. :)
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.