HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Transparent Glass - having an issue with collision  (Read 2168 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Transparent Glass - having an issue with collision
« on: Apr 27, 13, 02:32:06 PM »

Hi guys. Ive been attempting to get transparent glass working in the game.

We have done the following steps.

• Created a DDS with a transparency in its Alpha channel
  • Created and assigned a hero material with the glass texture to a mesh
  • Hero material has gradient selected and collide selected
  • Exported into engine, loaded the model in

The glass window has transparency working, but it has no collision. I have made sure that collide is active in poly attributes on the material. The camera collides with the window but the player does not. I assign the material to any other asset that was already ingame and they retain their collision.

The mesh we are using for glass is a single face with 4 verts. It has no backface. I am running into the texture side of the mesh.

Just seems that any asset that i export with this material has no player collision.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Transparent Glass - having an issue with collision
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 13, 02:41:37 PM »

I have done a messy workaround for this. I have made an exact duplicate in the same location as the glass mesh, made a different material and made it a collision only mesh. Ive attached them both and exported as a single object.

The collision only mesh is totally invisible anyway, so acts as the collision for the transparent piece of glass that does not want to have collide for some reason.

As i said, this is a messy solution, and i cant think of any way to fix this. I could do with some tips :)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 13, 11:51:29 AM »

Hmmm, interesting.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce this; that shouldn't happen.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 13, 02:16:46 PM »

Hi Bennet,

I made a box/square in max, assigned the same glass texture/material to it and exported. The square/box had collision.

Another possible issue may be some sort of instability with max or the hero script/toolset installation as i receive this error when trying to select the gradient or mask options on the diffuse.

I can close the script error window and still assign the material to an object and it still receives the transparency, but im thinking that maybe this is the cause of the lack of collision?
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 13, 02:18:24 PM by Prometheus2012 »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 13, 02:27:36 PM »

Uh, well yes that error shouldn't happen...I have no idea offhand if that would cause the issue you're seeing but I suppose it might interfere with the creation of the physics representation of the object.  I have never seen that error before, I suspect it may be a local configuration error or an issue with your 3ds Max install...