HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Setup is confusing  (Read 7897 times)

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Setup is confusing
« on: Sep 30, 11, 04:40:50 PM »

Hello,

My development world is just finished and now i need to setup.

Are there any tutorials on how to setup all the things like:

-art pipeline
-art server
-setup of the folders ( i think i need to create the HE folder)
-3rd party Tools like Speedtrees

Could you please write a tutorial or if a tutorial already exists send me the link to it.
It is really confusing, because i can't finde tutorials at all.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 12, 05:00:30 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Setup is confusing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:44:37 PM »

Did you receive an email titled "Your HeroCloud is Ready"? It has all the setup and tutorial instructions. The wiki also has linked to them. And the Setup email is also written out in a forum post in the start here section of the forums.

I am actually amazed that through all my overkill of sending and posting this information, you have managed not to find it. So I must gain insight from you as to how you have missed all of it.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:48:19 PM »

??? You received the email and opened it! Did it come incomplete? Was there no text in it? How is it possible that none of this information has gotten to you. I must understand!

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:49:44 PM »

calm down coop... here are your meds... let me handle this...

<gets out a spiked wiffle bat>

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:53:11 PM »

Yes i got the mail.

First step is downloading Hero Blade, Repository Browser and Hero Launcher.
So i downloaded them and installed them.

The next point is "Explore your World"

But here http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/HeroEngine_Setup_Phases the art server setup is the first step. But i can not find a tutorial, just things like " Do I really need an Art Server? " and "How to not use an Art Server ".

I am downloading the Oracle database at the moment, it is about 2 GB.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:55:14 PM »

http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,726.0.html

the very first post of the very first topic of the very first forum of hero engine... enjoy

OuterNet

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:57:27 PM »

Setting up an art server is good.  Explore the world first, get your hands in it.  

I just set up our Art Server.  The problem with that, is my team members are spread out.  Denmark and US.  So what I did, was setup a Dropbox account.  Then created a virtual drive g:/ for "game" and linked it to the Dropbox folder.  Then on the repository, I added it in the list.  And mimicked the setup.  So when one of my team members drop something, it loads on G.  Then I can drag it accordingly.
AKA:  SpiritWebb on other forums!
Project:  OuterNet * Virtual Worlds

http://www.facebook.com/OuterNet.VirtualWorlds
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tadrensel

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:58:31 PM »

Noooo! Abort lol! Just follow the setup instructions! The email and the post are your friend.

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 11, 05:25:29 PM »

okay so i just followed the email instructions but now i have 2 questions.

"Shared Folder Method
Smaller teams may find that a shared folder on one of their workstations will suit their needs. Make sure to back up the files regularly! "

Does it mean i just can create a sub directory in the repository browser?

I can't find the folders for the maya.dev file

Sorry for the questions.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 11, 06:01:55 PM by DrainStudios »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 11, 06:09:25 PM »

As long as you have followed all the tutorials, then you can start diving in to setting up an art server. We do not give you an art server. An art server is a concept, which others users have started to outline for you here. At it's simplest it is a folder on your local, at most complicated it is a dedicated peice of hardware used to connect all of your artists raw assets. Take it slow. I fear jumping ahead is making your life confusing. :-)

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 11, 06:19:33 PM »

So i need windows server 2008 and the oracle client ?

I have a problem at setting up maya:

"the specified procedure could not be found" when i want to check the check box "Load" at the plug-in manager

this is my maya.env file:
Code: [Select]
MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH = C:\Program Files\HeroEngine\HE\GrannyExportSettings\MELScripts\Maya2011.0
PYTHONPATH = C:\Program Files\HeroEngine\HE\GrannyExportSettings\MELScripts\Maya2011.0
MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:\Program Files\HeroEngine\HE\GrannyExportSettings\Exporter\Maya2011.0_64bit
XBMLANGPATH = C:\Program Files\HeroEngine\HE\GrannyExportSettings\MELScripts\HE_Tools_Icons
HeroEngine_Root = C:\Program Files\HeroEngine\HE\GrannyExportSettings

this is my user setup file

Code: [Select]
// HeroEngine, Copyright (c) 2002-2010 Idea Fabrik Plc.  All rights reserved.
// www.heroengine.com

//Add the following lines to you userSetup.mel file if you have one, if not, use this one.
//DO NOT change the order

loadPlugin "granny_maya2011_0-x64";
pluginInfo -edit -autoload true "granny_maya2011_0-x64";

loadPlugin "HeroShader_64bit";
pluginInfo -edit -autoload true "HeroShader_64bit";

source AnimationTools;
source Asset_Layout_Tools;
source AssetTools;
source CharacterTools;
source CreateSRB;
source grannyTrackMaskUI;
//source grannyu;  //by using evalDeferred, maya will execute this after initialization, since this script is dependant on maya plugs and such, this is the way to do it.
evalDeferred("source grannyu.mel");
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 11, 03:52:18 AM by DrainStudios »

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 11, 07:21:52 AM »

You do not need the Oracle client.  Upon which wiki page linked from the initial email sent by Cooper did you find this requirement?  We'll make it clearer, to save other newcomers the effort and time of doing things they don't need to do.

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 11, 10:02:44 AM »

I don't know how to fix the problem with maya.

If you could mention the problems which can appear at the maya and how to fix them, it would be very nice too.

I click the link in the email on how to setup the art server :

"Shared Folder Method

Smaller teams may find that a shared folder on one of their workstations will suit their needs. Make sure to back up the files regularly!"

Then i need to look for a tutorial on how to install a workstation, i found the article on wiki, which contains a list with programs i need to install :

Visual Studio
Perforce
P4Win
DirectX SDK
SyncFusion
Actipro Software SyntaxEditor
Oracle 10g Client

So i need to look for tutorials on how to install and configure them too. It is like an endless chain of installations and problems. Maybe it is just me failing, but i am a bit overstrained with installing 10 programs to get an art server, which i can not use, because i got errors on the maya setup.

thank you for the support and the fast answers!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 11, 10:14:51 AM »

Okay. Stop trying to install things. I don't know how you are confusing yourself so badly. There are concepts here that you are mixing up. There is nothing more you need to install. The setup emails don't tell you to install those things. Please reread our descriptions of art servers, but for you, until you get an engineer on your team, just setup a folder on your local if you are desperate to finish the art server setup. But please remember this is why I make it clear you need to have an engineer on your team. We'll try to help but I am currently blown away at how off track you keep going. Almost a thousand development groups set up and never seen this. So at least you are unique. :)

As for the Maya setup just follow all the instructions line by line and if a step doesn't work go back to the beginning and try again. Was Maya working correctly before you tried setting up the herocloud?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 11, 10:39:08 AM »

Correct. The current export pipeline doesn't have scripts for 2012. With some scripting you could make the pipeline work, but publish 1.65 has 2012 support in the coming weeks.
Pages: [1] 2