HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] World Emails  (Read 1489 times)

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] World Emails
« on: Sep 30, 11, 04:43:48 PM »

I hope this is the right area here for this if not can ya move it when ya see it coop?  Anyways as dev teams begin to grow some of the smaller less financed teams.... like mine do not have an official email system nor websites... I would like to recommend as a service that can help the devs as well as inevitably help the games as they head towards release that part of the license be expanded to include a game website for public viewing... a place where we can build and host our website as an extension of our servers... and a built in email system both to registered playersd in the future and to fellow dev members... with the ability to load a BBS system on the site like phpbb for example that will then allow us to have a dev side forum specific to our game and team as well as a player forum for when the game goes live as well as a place for players to be to see progress ask questions and share ideas...

I dont believe this would be too hard as you already have our dev worlds running on an active server so maybe just link these things into the same server our dev world is running on?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:08:49 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: World Emails
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:45:59 PM »

I also plan to make sandwiches for you, just fyi.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 11, 04:46:48 PM »

great ill have some corned beef on sour dough with aged swiss cheese horseradish sauce and saurkraut with just a dash of red wine vinegerette.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 11, 05:12:04 PM »

Game servers and web servers are a different set up from each other. I am not saying it cannot be done, as it can if you also have the right set up, though a partition at the very least would be recommended between the two. Bridging both game server and web server is a bit more tricky, even if you do it on the same server set up (grid or cloud set up.)

It would take a bit. I would suggest in looking into a server host and that way you have full control of what you want to have on the server, how how basic or large a site you want, etc.

You can always start out with shared hosting which is fairly cheep now a days, just do not expect to be able to run a lot of users, plus a lot of custom scripts. A shared server can slow down when traffic gets heavy for that server, even if you only have a few dozen people on yours. Everything is generally shared minus your partition. (IE: memory, cpu(s), bandwidth, etc.)

The other options you can go in is Dedicated hosting or Dedicated Cloud hosting. We had chosen the later. Here you can pick your package and if you have a good host, can even do upgrades or downgrades "on the fly" without service interruption.  If you go either of these routes it is recommended ot have some type of control panel software. I prefer cPanel myself.

Going either of these routes you can set up your own email server, php email or your host might offer email service.

We set up our own email server, with custom email for all of our sites. Each one is controlled by its own cpanel admin, so easy to keep them separate.

There are a lot of hosts out there, and over the years have tried several of them. I found I prefer MSE myself. You can find them here: http://myserverexpert.com/
And no, I do not get any kickback from MSE for whom ever i recommend. I am just that sold on the fast service the support and over all excellent up time and service.

Hope that helps some,
Sarrene'

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 11, 08:24:58 PM »

Nightshadow?  I like the way you built that sandwich up... it sounds REALLY yummy!

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 11, 02:51:24 PM »

Nightshadow?  I like the way you built that sandwich up... it sounds REALLY yummy!

indeed it is but it's been like 24 hours and im still waiting... i think coop is a slow cook...