HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd  (Read 2522 times)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd
« on: Aug 03, 11, 09:38:19 AM »

Hi,

I started out in New York State, and Connecticut, and followed my heart to Canada (where the love of my life is, she's an Artist). I am heavy on concept and wrote a 5 part linked character generation program in C (5 megs worth of text & options), had a combat system that did absolutely nothing until you entered your next command (you could take a nap and wake up hours later with no more damage) and kept looking for a game engine that cost under 6 figure$. I thought it would be a heck of a good idea to set up a co-operative system where we could swap buildings and insights and other tricks and stuff and support each other spiritually etc while we're learning our way around here. Sounds like we're on the same page.

-----Jim
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 11, 07:29:15 PM by HE-Cooper »
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 11, 06:09:39 AM »

A little more about myself  :P  I was a radio recording engineer at a community radio station (WPKN in Bridgeport, CT, USA) Where I was also in charge of Public Service Announcements and the designated tutor for people who couldn't grasp ProTools digital recording software because they were intimidated by the techno-babble, and the guy who was really up on how to use it had been a University Professor and also had loads of responsiblity at the station so he didn't have time to deal with anybody who needed a bit of a pat on the back once in a while.

One of my favourite students at that station has produced some amazing sound recordings. Some of his stuff hit me like a hammer and screamed, "This is a perfect theme for a video game-"

I am currently a video producer/editor/Master Control Geek at a small satellite Cable Studio up here in Canada (dealing with ancient analog as well as brand new digital equipment (FinalCut Pro and S-VHS editing consoles, twenty year old S-VHS cameras on their last legs and two or three year old DVX-100s as well as flip cams and helmet cams and stuff like that. Most of my colleagues are straining at the bit to cover hockey games, I feel more comfortable trying to stay awake through marathon town hall meetings.)

My lead artist has signed up for this forum and will probably introduce herself soon (She's a bit more shy(-er?) than I am) (and her day job is quite demanding.) (She's holding her breath for Cooper to drop his other shoe and reveal what his coming announcement about 3rd party software might be.)

Others on the team are on vacation and/or haven't committed to posting anything where their tech savvy bosses might find out that not everything they are feverishly working on at work might be entirely work related, (shhhhhh-) & A couple hot prospects for joining here haven't gotten back to me yet. ((Figure if a lot of Lizard people start running around my world, they've joined with a vengeance...) :)

That's probably more than enough for now. (I'm currently getting over catastrophic Earthquake damage caused by thinking I could pop a cave underground and work on it without wrecking the above landscape. Damage control was fairly easy. I just have to stop kicking myself for being so stupid. earlier instances that I thought would save me were not available when I went looking for them... eep)

-----Jim  (p.s. how did you get your avatar up there? I can't find one of the usual buttons. Maybe it's this stupid browser.)
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 11, 07:29:22 PM by HE-Cooper »
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 11, 07:20:57 PM »

DreamCat Of TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations is my spouse, Artist, she is working through the tutorials on Maya right now on her newly upgraded laptop. Her intro was above this topic a couple minutes ago, if this shuffles itself to the top her intro will have moved down a bit.

"Shuffles" or RedDuke is also working through the Maya tutorials and building amazing areas with nothing more than what came with the HeroCloud as we received it.

We also have an artist-developer with a degree in evolutionary biology, but I think she's holding back to make sure we have something solid to show before she commits and puts her reputation on the line by admitting she's part of this.

Others who have been offered positions haven't responded. I've been so busy building that I haven't followed up with some of them, with the wacky weather and other irritating problems, like the fact that comcast and a couple other IPs routinely block any email coming from Canada, may be monkey wrenching the communications process here.

---thanks,

~~~~~Jim
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 11, 07:29:31 PM by HE-Cooper »

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 11, 07:25:29 PM »

Here should be a couple recent screen shots:
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 11, 07:29:39 PM by HE-Cooper »

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Wellington [Hacked out of big thread]
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 11, 07:37:53 PM »

And another: This shows two of us (If you look closely, the upload size limitations make it hard to show anything large enough to say so) working on an area that 'Shuffles' wants to keep in perrenial darkness. He's experimenting with the vortex, I was wondering why the white box is flashing that weird green and white.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 11, 07:50:12 PM »

I fell in love with some of the 'erosion tools' : this shot shows the massive area being effected while I was clicking away using "hybrid erosion" to make this area more interesting and accessible to characters who couldn't fly up the cliff face.

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 11, 07:58:18 PM »

I thought I had some more examples of interesting landscapes, this might be the best one I could find in under ten minutes:

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 11, 08:12:38 PM »

Here's another landscape shot:

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 11, 08:16:39 PM »

I'll add a character who began as a human, was changed into a Cat-person (Suwari?) and then into a halfling (Qui?) with some unexpected results. (I can't wait to actually mess with the character generation for the final product here.)

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 11, 08:18:42 PM »

This is the first cat person I realized I could 'generate' or more like alter with the existing character morphing stuff that came with this package.

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 11, 08:21:27 PM »

And here's a cave the cat-person 'helped' me build, then ran through to make sure it could be accessible.

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 11, 03:56:45 PM »

December 14, 2011?

---Still here, still doing stuff. I was happy to read the latest newsflash from Cooper, saying that the agonizing sticky-terrain glitch had been fixed. (took two minutes after clicking before anything happened, and it happened in such small increments, I wondered if I was the only one stupid enough to keep on trying...)

I've also been labouring under the delusion that I can build a honkin huge area and then, after everything looks pretty good before importing lots of assets, copy it several times and delete most of the 'rooms' to leave smaller, more manageable areas that should 'seamlessly' link up where they're supposed to.

Leave us see how this works out....

(yay...)

~~~~~Jim