HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Cybernetic Connection, LLC. (aka Cyber Games Industries - CGI)  (Read 5290 times)

bordiko

• General Accounts
  • The future can be seen.... and it is Chrome!
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,

My name is Jon Robbins and I'm the founder and CEO of the Cybernetic Connection.  We are a small company located in St. Louis, MO.  We are currently working on a Console/PC version of our game using the Unreal3 Engine.  We are also working on the Online MMO version of the game, of course using HeroEngine.  I spent months researching the market for the best gaming platforms (engines) to use for an MMO.  And I'm guessing from all of our post, that all of us reached the same conclusion... HeroEngine was/is the ONLY choice.

I'll keep a brief intro post here, and will add additional info in future post.  For now, this is who we are.  There are five primary Employees, including myself.  Obviously, I'm the Project Oversight.  But when schedules permit, I'm always more than happy to sit down and get some coding and modeling done.   Five years before I started the company, I was in my basement designing the city, landscape and some of the models.  And I'm glad it started that way, because obviously we didn't have to start from scratch.  So now I keep mostly to the corporate stuff, paperwork and more.  But as I said, I'll jump at any chance to get my hands dirty. 

The rest of the team was hand-selected myself. 

My "Project Lead" and Animation guy is Darin Fisher.  You'll see some of his work on the cut-scenes and animation in James Bond's Quantum of Solace game.  That was his last game project.  But he's also worked with FX Channel and A&E Channel on their animated intro's and commercials.   

The "Lead Programmer" is an amazing coder named Robert 'Tony' Kozieja.  This guys know more codes and systems than I do.  C++ in all its forms, XML and API's systems.  And many more.  Now we've got him into Scaleform and other integrated GUI systems.

Our 3d Modeler, or "Lead Graphic Animator" is Althone Torregosa.  A young man with an incredible future ahead of him.  We were lucky enough to grab him at graduation.  Top of his class at ITT Technical Institute here in Saint Louis.  This guys does it all from Normal Mapping to creating 3d models of people.  And I mean Real People.  His skill level allows us to make in-game characters of our Musicians so they can perform on stage in the game.  Nice.

My VP and CTO is a good friend of mine, and the most experienced System Technician I have ever known.  His name is Terry "TJ" Byrne.  And aside from designing our Network and keeping our Servers up when I "try new things on them", he owns and operated the Irish-Networks, of course in Ireland.  We're working on his visa's now to get him and his family stateside so he can bring his Servers over here, and work on ours at the same time.  I'm proud to call him friend and partner.

And the last man on what we call the Pyramid, is Joseph "Joe" Peterson.  My brother.  And our Social Networking God.  If anyone in this group has more Game Time than I do, it's Joe.  He keeps our Facebook, Twitter and Forums up to date and active.  I still play more games than I probably should as CEO of a company, but I call it Research.  In the last couple months, my Steam account has me logged at 76 hours on Left 4 Dead 2, 26 hours on Section 8 Prejudice, and 62 hours on Borderlands.  And that's not even counting my Mass Effect 2 hours.  And to be fair, I think Joe has more time logged on games than I do.  Obviously, he will be our first game tester.

Alright, this is our core.  Outside of this we have a couple part-time modelers and are now going to Out-Source some more to one of our partners company in Costa Rico soon.  So like many of us here, this isn't a huge project with millions of dollars.  Just a handful of professionals with a huge desire to make one of the best games we can.  And we will.  In my next post, over in the Game Description thread I'll detail our games for you.  I'll try to get it up tonight.  Until then, here's the links to our sites.  Please note the Radio Station is down until this weekend.  I just did a system update for the hardware.  Hope to have it back online by Friday night's gaming sessions.

Thank you for taking the time and consideration to read my ramblings.  I'll add some more over the next couple of days.   Feel free to post up with comments and suggestions, always open to those.  Even concerns.

Thanks,
Jon Robbins

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Cybernetic Connection, LLC. (aka Cyber Games Industries - CGI)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 11, 05:32:51 PM »

I posted up our game details (or what i had the energy to do tonight).
You can find it over on the Project thread or just click here.

Thanks for the time and consideration.
Jon 'Bordiko' Robbins
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 11, 05:52:06 PM by bordiko »

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 11, 06:22:11 PM »

As most of the projects and companies here, I'm sure i'm not alone when i say this work has become my life's dream.  And my family's.  What started as a "i'm bored so let's find something to do" in my basement, to a "I'm now in charge of all these people helping me make my dream come true".  Wow.

The company started Nov 2010 and by January I had the office open, 5 employee's and tons of hardware (desktops and servers).  Not to mention a 10'x13' desk.  Yeah i liked that part too.  To date we have over 100k in the project, including salaries and 'stuff'.  I'm guessing due to the local (and national) economy our first-round investors are having problems being our second-round investors.  So obviously I'm still looking for partners and funds to keep the project moving along.  Someone here commented (privately) about how i'm able to pay my employee's such low salaries in this market, and still maintain the quality we're used to.  It's simple.  Not only did i offer the core team (Our Pyramid) a royalty of 1.33% of all company sales, but i also offered them the option to convert their royalty to ownership thru payroll deductions.  In addition to this, we offer a full benefits program with insurance, 401k, Investment/Retirement Advisers and much more.  So needless to say, it's not that hard to find people that know the potential gain from a project like this.  But in addition to these facts, we are one of the Very Few game design companies here in the Midwest.  And i think one of only 2 (possibly 3) in the St. Louis area.  So I literally get to pick and choose from the best graduates at the local schools (including ITT Tech Institute). 

Aside from all these little details... it's such a kewl job to have.  Think about it guys, we get paid (and when done, paid a LOT) to play and make video games.  Can you imagine how many people want to be able to say that, and now we can?   Even if, and heaven forbid, our games don't make big markets, distributions or in worst case scenarios... don't sell or get subscribers... we still get to do what we love!   Keep in mind, for all those that are having 'second thoughts' about following this path... only 4 months after I opened the company, shortly after our press release... I was approached by an 'acquisition agent' who was interested in buying my company... considering the niche market we're targeting.  Obviously i declined (especially since their opening bid wasn't even worth considering)... but the point remains... even in the worst-case scenarios, we always have an exit.   But why would we?

Alright, guess that's enough rambling for tonight.  Hope everyone enjoyed my 'thought for the day', and have a great weekend.  And may it be filled with lots of inspiration for creation.

Jon Robbins

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 11, 04:47:05 PM »

Evening everyone,
   Just wanted to post up real quick with our new site info...

We put our Radio Station website back online, it's our attempt to start a new Social Networking site for Gamerz!
Attempting to combine the best of the sites into one location... Status, Game Stats, Killer Music, Chat, email and much more.

Check it out at Mad 4 Gaming Radio

Create an account, login and look around. let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jon

Ratican

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 11, 04:44:54 PM »

Hello Jon,
We met previously at ITT Tech in Arnold, MO. My team has recently began the process of switching to HERO from Big World and I just wanted to say hi after all us St. Louis game developers need to keep in touch wouldn't you say?

Anyway I would love to see what you team has been up to, and as soon as we have something to show off I will make sure to post a link!

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 11, 06:02:01 PM »

Hello Jon,
We met previously at ITT Tech in Arnold, MO. My team has recently began the process of switching to HERO from Big World and I just wanted to say hi after all us St. Louis game developers need to keep in touch wouldn't you say?

Anyway I would love to see what you team has been up to, and as soon as we have something to show off I will make sure to post a link!

Hey mate,  glad to see you active in the community too.  and yes, please send me whatever you have when it's ready.  and by the way, did you know the Hero system is based in/around saint louis as well.  it's not just us local, they have a base/office in st. charles.  :)  so it's not just us local.

Talk soon,
Jon Robbins

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 11, 06:21:02 PM »

There's a few game companies here in St Louis area, including the granddaddy of them all, SIMUTRONICS, who begat HeroEngine (now a separate company).

There's also RIOT GAMES, in Clayton.  A new one named Six3Six (the area code for St Charles and surrounding areas).  Graphite Labs at Westport also says they do games, formerly Black Lantern (in Springfield, MO).

Ratican

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 11, 06:26:43 PM »

I have to say I didn't know about Graphite Labs, I hope all of you guys will be at the up coming global game jam in January. Unfortunately I have not been able to attend the STL game developers meet ups for a while due to work, but I really want to start getting to know everyone in the industry in the area. Oh and thanks for the info! 

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 11, 07:41:46 PM »

Unfortunately I have not been able to attend the STL game developers meet ups for a while due to work

Do you have a list of these events (or a link to the resource) for the STL area?
Would love to know who, where and when.
I wanted to attend Arcon this year, but wasn't able to.  Thinking of puttin a booth there for 2012

Jon

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 11, 11:24:09 AM »

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we're now signed up with Kickstarter.com to help with some of the expenses of a project like this.  As i'm sure most of you already know, the biggest obstacle with being an independent game company is the finances. 

Cybernetic Connection is using Kickstarter.com to help push Chrome Sagas over the top!

So i'm posting up for two reasons...

1- For anyone that didn't know about Kickstarter.com

2- For anyone that wants to help their competition  8)

check it out.  And feel free to help us push the post.  As you know it's a numbers game.  The more pushes you get out, the more chances you have of people taking an interest in it.   And i would seriously suggest anyone that doesn't know about the site, to go have a look.  It doesn't cost anything, and it 'could' be a great asset to your projects.

Chrome Sagas on Kickstarter.com

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to read this.

Jon

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 11, 01:26:36 PM »

I know kickstarter.com page, but last time I checked it said I need to be a US resident to be able to use, which I'm not. Is there any similar page which I can use from Europe?

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 11, 02:25:25 PM »

I'll ask for you this weekend, i know a few but not sure about UK.
I got the referral from one of the guys that helped put it together, so when i talk to him again I'll ask.

Jon

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 11, 02:32:48 PM »

Have you checked out RocketHub, PeerBackers or Kiva? As i know Kiva is a global organization.

Hope this helps.
Jon

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 11, 03:02:36 PM »

Thanks man, I will check them out :)

bordiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 11, 08:41:52 AM »

oh yeah, almost forgot... there's also CrowdBackers.  Almost identical to Kickstarter.
Jon