HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Asset Pipeline  (Read 1552 times)

Kezryk

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Asset Pipeline
« on: Oct 02, 11, 06:19:44 PM »

I'm sorry, but i feel compelled to say this!
I have only Successfully imported one simple model
but a more complex model is out of the question.
No, good documentation to show the process.
Any suggestions??
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:16:36 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Asset Pipeline
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 11, 06:38:53 PM »

I think the documentation is pretty thorough. Where are you getting stuck? We definitely get new devs, especially devs knew to shared art pipelines getting confused by the necessity of unique file, path, material names, but a hundred worlds came online last month and 95 have uploaded repository assets into their game, so let's figure out what's hanging you up or if you are missing some documentation or tutorials.

Kezryk

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 11, 07:01:37 PM »

What is going on is, I purchased Daz3d castle pack, converted it to fbx, created a castle with multiple parts,
but the textures are in jpg so i convert them using Photoshop elements 7 to dds create a diffuse and normal map, save them in dds format, assign the dds in 3ds max material, using Multi/subobject, assign hero material , put diffuse texture and normal texture in , but when i export it, i just cant get any textures or it wont export all the parts of the asset.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 11, 09:32:27 PM »

Without more specifics, in the meantime I would suggest ...

Using the Nvidia Texture Tools to handle correct generation and manipulation of DDS files.

And, assuming the DDS files themselves are correct (which you should check and perhaps regenerate using those Nvidia Texture Tools), it sounds like the paths on the texture file is incorrect relative to where you place the texture and mesh files in the repository.

Check your art directory setup, and make sure the textures and mesh in the right directories before applying the textures to the mesh in Max

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

Rissa2002

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 11, 09:46:52 PM »

Might check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcXxyvt4ImI
for attaching in 3ds max if your castle has alot of seperate parts as your post seems to indicate you will need to attach or possibly group it into one single mesh for export.

helpful tip for a good habit:
after you create the textures and format to .dds in photoshop move them to HE folders BEFORE you add them to the texture editor in max and then add them to the mesh that sets the pathway up correctly from the start.

Keeping in mind each mesh tells the engine where those textures should be when the export happened and if you move them after you export that filepath wont be correct and the engine will error out when it doesnt find the texture where the mesh said it would be.

Kezryk

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 11, 09:21:03 AM »

Thanks for the comments and help. I managed to get one piece in. Apparently, HE cant use textures 3kx3k so i reduced it. and was able to get it in. Im gonna try the grouping thing today to see if it works.
Thanks again

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 11, 09:23:58 AM »

It's a standard DDS requirement that textures need to be a power of 2 in size.

For example in this case: if your texture is 3k x 3k, it should be resized (or initially created at) 2k x 2k or 4k x 4k which are powers of 2.

This is for a number of reasons including alignment, MIPmap generation, etc.

And, if you don't resize it, it could either be done arbitrarily under the hood by us or the API, or it may fail to load if your graphics card doesn't support the next larger size

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

Kezryk

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 11, 12:43:58 PM »

Yeah, I resized the Texture to 512x512 and it worked perfectly, but when i imported the model(Which, was a colection of models) only one piece showed. so I think the way to go is grouping. Had, a small problem with the computer did help either, seems i was getting to hot. so I put new fans in and now im ok. I think!