HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Bite Me - MMOARPG  (Read 1752 times)

gemmboy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Bite Me - MMOARPG
« on: Oct 02, 11, 06:55:56 PM »

The name is a filler, and meant to describe what you play. Generally in terms, Bite Me doesn't function like a sandbox or themepark mmorpg. The key word is action, and action comes in the form of fluidity between pvp, pve, mini games, ranked and competitive pvp, and dynamic living world. The player is set during a zombie Apocalypse and is belonging to 1 of the 3 factions. You have Scientists wanting to control the outbreaks, Military wanting to establish order and destroy the outbreaks, and Survivors wanting to live and survive the outbreaks. Your NPC fall into fellow Scientific Researchers, Military Factions, Survivor Colonies and Marauders (bandits and thugs Hell bent on looting and killing everything) and Zombies. the Scientists, Military and Survivors can fight, so a core essence pvp, pve can happen everywhere. A player must technically "flag" to turn pvp on, but other than that it can happen in towns, instances, dungeons, ect. Without the "flag" on, you can group with Scientists, Military and Survivors.

Dynamics will play a large roll inside the game. Each area will have 4 dynamics that will contain a small pool of outcomes that will effect that area. Zombies invade your small town, you lose to the zombies as they overrun and take objectives, you lose the town to trade and buy in until the NPC can come back (or the "RESET" brings them back in as a small uncontrolled dynamic event). For working on UDK, Cry2/3 and Unity, I know dynamics in a game that are scenario and decision driven are important. The general themepark quest system is based on repeatable quests giving supplies and opening up other areas for the players. Players are giving "jobs" pertaining to what they want to choose in game. You can be a mechanist, a doctor, a soldier, and even a business man. you decide what you want to do, as such a system is not locking you into a class, but rather what profession you would like to be. ultimately, you can learn all of the professions, but they do not effect the type of combat skills you have. I.E. a business man can still throw grenades and shoot a m-16 and maybe even fly a helicopter.

My world has "layers" of the game built into it. In further "zones" players can explore open sky in that "area" as permitted. they simply can't fly to every area and zone, as limitations on fly space and fuel make it limiting to them. NPC might also have a way of "limiting" fly space for the player such as anti-air and acid shooting zombies. Ultimately players can build their own survivor colonies on the higher end maps, allowing factions and npc to invade and conquer new territories. these should not be instanced, but should be linked into the world as capture-able objects that come to life with special dynamics driven towards them. the special dynamics will be integrated into the system of zone dynamics for them already, as to not flood the server with too many "threads and functions" to process at one time.

Skills are general, and they depend on item mastery. Bascially, you can swing your chainsaw in a flury of ways to create your own combo chains. Generic class based systems would not work here. Item Mastery and Item proficiency come along as you level up. Skill, timing, and maybe even the better strategic point on the map can determine the victor.

As for lore, we will integrate that into the quests, dynamics, and even let the players pick back story options allowing npc and the world to react to such. Not much else to say, since it's long enough already.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
Re: Bite Me - MMOARPG
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 11, 08:00:13 PM »

Sounds very interesting. 
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

gemmboy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Bite Me - MMOARPG
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 11, 10:02:49 PM »

I recently read josh's comment and decided that I'll reserve some more space to some bullet points about my game. Generally I want to push the engine as far as it will go and beyond. Unfortunately there will be areas I will not be able to enhance or perform about the engine, so my planning will need to change. Generically, the game revolves around dynamic living world and npcs that fight everything. You can ride cars in races, gamble, capture set points for resources or let the whole world go to Hell by letting the enemy factions tear your towns apart.