HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved| Backup to Test Scripts?  (Read 2076 times)

bobboles@embarqmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • AggressorOnline
[Resolved| Backup to Test Scripts?
« on: Oct 04, 11, 11:10:39 AM »

Here is what Im trying to do. I'm switching my Character controller from a Biped to a "Tank". Yea, my character is going to be a big tank. Im so sick of elves I could scream. So Im doing a 180 and having 1000 ton super modern battle tanks, hehe.

Well anyway.

Its looks a lot easier then the Controller already in there. HOWEVER, I'm not sure what I'm doing, and I would like a way to backup my scripts before I start, and during the switch.

The main one I want to backup is "E_ACCController" Which looks like where all the actual commands are run.

I KNOW I'm going to screw things up. And Id like some way to simply say, "whoops", and set the scripts back to before I messed them up.

Im sure others have backup plans for this? What is the best way to do it?

I guess what I'm saying is that this is an extremely complicated engine that I am learning on, and I dont want to send an email in that says, err I broke it, can you get it to do anything again?

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 12, 10:42:04 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Backup to Test Scripts?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 11, 01:32:55 PM »

The scripts are technically backed up already.  When you commit your changes, it becomes a new version. All previous versions are still available: in the script editor, press Control-H to see all versions of a script.  If you have the merge options setup for that editor, you can double click a version to compare it to the latest one (or to your current edit if you've saved changes but not committed them, yet).  Then you could put the focus on the one called other (the older one) select all text and copy it, then paste it into the editor, save and commit.

Alternatively, you can copy the text right from the editor and save it into a text file on you PC. Later, that text can be copied and pasted back into the editor, saved and committed.  It will be a new version, but it will have the same text as the old one.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 11, 01:35:27 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

bobboles@embarqmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • AggressorOnline
Re: Backup to Test Scripts?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 11, 09:35:24 PM »

Ah great thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Another nice feature of HeroBlade.  A permanent Source file system.