HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Animation Export and Files  (Read 3460 times)

peachpuff

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Animation Export and Files
« on: Oct 15, 11, 01:17:36 PM »

Hello all knowing people of the Hero Engine world,  :)

These are probably simple question's and answers but here they are.

Question 1.
I am converting animation files for Maya to be able to read and export out as .gr2.  Now my issue is when I export them out am I only exporting the skeleton as the .gr2 or do I export the whole character and skeleton as the gr2.  I saw on the Animating Characters wiki it just had images of the skeleton and I just want to be sure.  Which if it is just the skeleton I have a lot reconverting to do. >_<

Question 2.
Do I need to have all my animations ready at the moment to make the .asq's and .aas and etc?  For example: I have 10 animations in all, but only have 6 ready to make a .asq and .aas.  I bring those 6 animations in and make my .asq's and .aas and etc. Can I add the other 4 later on?  Or do I need them all ready to bring in at one time and create the files?
Etc = all the files needed for an animation sequence.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:06:43 PM by HE-Cooper »

madz370@hotmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Animation Export and Files
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 11, 05:48:14 PM »

For part 2. atleast you can just run it in again under the same prosess and override the current animation file. If it has the same path name as the other one which you loaded i guess it will just override itself automaticly or you might have to import it again. Nothing biggie non the less just dont delete anything before you know its working the way its supposed to and you know you can delete said item.

peachpuff

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 11, 06:44:49 PM »

Good point.  Thanks!

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 11, 10:07:33 AM »

Animations are just the skeleton and since meshes are culled automatically from the gr2 by the exporter, all you need to worry about is making sure animation (vda) is selected.

You definitely do not need to have all the animations ready when creating the initial asq and aas files.  If you review the http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Hero_Character_Tools wiki page, it explains that the workflow with HeroEngine is designed to get your assets into the engine as easily as possible so you can iterate on them quickly and efficiently.

The initial setup of a character basically provides the bare minimum to get a character loaded into the engine:
1 skeleton (+ mesh for static characters)
1 'idle' animation, taken from the timeline of the current scene
1 asq for that idle
a basic aas to run the idle
an animation set file to list the asq files (initially just the one 'idle)
and a .dat file to list the paths for all of that.

Dynamic characters would also have a parts folder and some additional files linking it all together, as described at length on the wiki.

From there, you can add in more animations and create asq files for them through the animation panel in HeroBlade or manually in text (I use the animation panel, 'cause it's easier).  Then, of course, you must update the aas to handle the new sequences.  The exporter tools will not write the aas for you, but there are many examples in Hero's Journey to look at.

peachpuff

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 11, 04:33:33 PM »

Thank you!  ;D