HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Resolved] heightmaps not at same hieght  (Read 3718 times)

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] heightmaps not at same hieght
« on: Oct 15, 11, 08:53:43 PM »

ok so I was messing around with this tutorial here http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Room_Visibility_Tutorial

So far so good... problem is even though my height maps are all connected they arent all at the same height.  I used the snapto grid to line em up but the height is the issue... any tips?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 03:15:22 PM by HE-Cooper »

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: heightmaps not at same hieght
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 11, 09:11:09 PM »

I found lining them up height-wise is a real pain.  Holding crtl to enforce snap helps but sometimes they seem to be on a different "grid".  I wish there was an easy way to center to world/area coords (zero it all out) and that the snap had more "snap" to it.

That said, with trial and error, I've been able to line things up pretty well in most cases and then use terrain tools like stitch and smooth to fix it up.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 11, 09:17:58 PM »

I found lining them up height-wise is a real pain.  Holding crtl to enforce snap helps but sometimes they seem to be on a different "grid".  I wish there was an easy way to center to world/area coords (zero it all out) and that the snap had more "snap" to it.

That said, with trial and error, I've been able to line things up pretty well in most cases and then use terrain tools like stitch and smooth to fix it up.

At most I am off by .05 margin of error it seems and even without stitching my DevAv can still walk over em without falling or anything so i just stitched em for now and softened egde.

However I ran into another problem... please see next post..

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 11, 09:27:03 PM »

Notice this is actually 10 hieghtmaps... intended according to the tutorial listed above to each be assigned to a room... problem 1... i selected each hieghtmap prior to stitching and hit add as in tutorial but when I select that room instead of default all rooms vanish...

Problem 2... the highest and lowest height maps are a tall cliff and a soon to be cave system below it in the cliff face... you cans ee the hole I cut which was hard since everytime i cut it it cut the lower heightmap and I had to seal it but everytime i sealed the lower the cave opening sealed too... so i moved the lower hieght map cut the hole and moved it back... this seemed to fix the problem...  But now I cant seem to place a ramp ONLY in the lowesr hieghtmap/room as it also modifies the hieghtmap aboive it... so i figured ok ill just make and select a new room and hopefully only be able to modify that one room... didnt work so little help please.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 11, 04:41:20 AM »

about prob2, which tool u have uses for generate the highmap?

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 11, 05:05:51 AM »

I used the custom size hieghtmap generator button under terrain tools.  Or if ya asking how i got it up there and down there I raised and lowered em and stitched em.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 11, 09:00:12 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by heightmaps lined up. If you copy out heightmaps and drag them with the move tool they will stay at the same height, or if you use the grid tool they will be crated at the same height.

If you select a room that doesn't have visibility set with other rooms it will hide the other rooms. I don't recommend trying to edit stacked height maps while they are stacked, and rooms are not the beat way to prevent editing tools from touching heightmaps. If you have to edit stacked heightmaps I would select the one you don't want to edit and hit spacebar to lock it and prevent it from being selected.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 11, 09:03:12 AM »

I used the custom size hieghtmap generator button under terrain tools.  Or if ya asking how i got it up there and down there I raised and lowered em and stitched em.

try to use Worldmachine exporting in r16, u can also import a raw from photoshop and import in wm

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 11, 11:38:57 AM »

if you are planning on outputting grid heightmaps that are to connect...

DO NOT USE LEVELLER FORMAT

Leveller does not calculate height over multiple areas, you must use RAW format. Leveller calculates height per piece based on its highs and lows, even if exported as a grid from world machine. Not sure if thats your issue but if you cannot line up height or they seem like the edges are different that would be why.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 11, 11:56:42 AM by info360covers »

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 11, 12:21:08 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by heightmaps lined up. If you copy out heightmaps and drag them with the move tool they will stay at the same height, or if you use the grid tool they will be crated at the same height.

If you select a room that doesn't have visibility set with other rooms it will hide the other rooms. I don't recommend trying to edit stacked height maps while they are stacked, and rooms are not the beat way to prevent editing tools from touching heightmaps. If you have to edit stacked heightmaps I would select the one you don't want to edit and hit spacebar to lock it and prevent it from being selected.

New heightmaps seem to be created where the camera is, almost always putting them at different heights.  And creating a Seamless Link seems to always put the the offset terrain from newly linked area above the current area's terrain.  And here, it is very difficult to get it on the same height as the current terrain when moving the terrain offsets.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's my experience, I've never had a newly created terrain piece "spawn" at the same height as what is currently there but at the point of my camera.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 11, 12:28:24 PM »

correct it does create from camera position. just eye it and use stitch. another work around is to make a huge area and use move instance to place it in different rooms or areas. thus they will be all at the same height. you can safely import a 4km area if its a heightmap (of course you don't want a single area this big, so send parts to different areas).

id recommend using areas and seamless 2.0 to link larger areas to each other through a smaller areas, cave, valley. rooms are still pre loaded in the memory if they are in the same area, thus making them good for occlusion, but with Umbra occlusion is handled pretty well already.

personally not finding much use for rooms as the engine is well optimized up to this point. FPS is not a problem. please correct me if I am missing something with rooms.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 11, 01:55:38 PM by info360covers »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 11, 01:59:05 PM »

You're right about rooms. They have more to do with gameplay at this point than they do with optimization, but can still be used for it in specific circumstances.

If you are creating a new heightmap in the same area as an existing one, easiest thing is just to select the move tool, select the existing heightmap, hit control D to duplicate, then drag out in the x or z axis only, but really, if your working in one area, easiest thing is just to make a huge heightmap, then slice it up later.

I would only worry about rooms once you get to the content phase of your project. And as recommended I wouldn't begin with seamless functionality until familiar with the layout of your world and the load you plan on putting on the server. I also see alot of groups just stitching together hundreds of area of flat terrain right out of the gate and I do not recommend this, its going to hurt gameplay later and most likely shoot you in the foot in any number of ways. Plan out your play areas, think about how they intersect and overlap. For examples I would recommend looking very closely at Fallout 3 and World of Warcraft. Both are seamless worlds but both disguise their sub areas well, while wow does it with large "zones" with pathways, and fallout does it with physical barriers and various empty travel areas. But the important note is both feel vast and diverse without actually having thousands of square kilos.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 11, 05:35:49 PM »

Ok spacebar got it thanks... and as for hieggtmaps lined up... you cans ee in the pic the grid is on... also I do use the move tool but I have to lower thier hieght because they are created at the camera level which is above the area.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 11, 02:21:09 AM »

aye tried spacebar the ramp still created a wierd wall between the upper and lower hieghtmap and dont see how I can edit them when unstacked and create a ramp since as you see the cliff face where the cave leads to an upper and lower area... no matter what something is gonna be edited after they are stacked even if all it is is the stitching of the hieghtmaps.  Any more ideas here?

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 11, 02:25:00 AM »

if I am not mistaken cooper you have the ability to enter my dev world... so feel free and see what I see... it is under seamless test area.
Pages: [1] 2