HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pirates' Nest  (Read 13433 times)

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • SnowCloud Entertainment
Pirates' Nest
« on: Oct 16, 11, 11:18:25 AM »

The name "Pirates' Nest"
The name of the game is also the headquarters of all of the pirates. See it as the "capital of pirates".

About Pirates' Nest:
Pirates’ Nest is a MMORPG in real development as of August 2010, whereas some scrap papers with ideas on it, as well as the name, date back to 2003/2004 (My little secret project back then).

The game builds around Good and Evil: Marines versus Pirates. The words good and evil are relative: The Government is seen as good, whereas the Pirates see them as evil, simply because the Government limits the freedom of the normal citizens too much so say the Pirates. The game revolves around you, the player, who is born in this world as a Pirate or a Marine. Your goal is to fight for freedom how you see fit. In order to achieve this freedom, one can/must continue through the storyline of the pirate / marine who obtained the first Gift. In this story, you will travel around the world and see things that are not known to men as of yet and is for you to discover: underwater tribes, secret passageways, underground mazes and many other dark secrets this world carries, as well as mythological beings.

The game is very community driven. This community’s building blocks are in fact “Pirate Crews” or “Marine Crews”. On top of a Pirate Crew or Marine Crew is a Captain, who can appoint Commanders to lead other ships in the Captain’s fleet.

There are thus 2 ultimate goals in this game:

Pirate’s goal
To beat the marines and to create a free world in which all people can live free and where all do their upmost best. It is believed by pirates that this is the way the world can become a better place. There should not be a higher power to control all people! The government is scared to lose its power, and that is why they want to get rid of the Pirates!
Marine’s goal / Government goal
Pirates believe that all men should be free without too much intervention of a higher power: the Government. The Government is there to sometimes even protect the people from themselves and deal with criminals and derivatives hereof. You know and understand this, and the best choice for people is to have a strong Government that can lead them all. Every freedom is a bounded freedom. Catching and killing these pirates to get rid of them all is your task as a Marine! Duty calls!

Differences:
Pirates’ Nest (PN) differs from a traditional quest-and-level up-MMO in a number of ways. This section will give a short overview of some of the differences.

Firstly, this MMO is not the traditional quest-and-level up-MMO. The quests in PN have as purpose to guide the player through the world, and partially through the storyline. The real reason for those quests in that in some cases, you get to places where the player did not think of going to in the first place (for example a marine prison if you play as a pirate). When visiting these places, a watchful eye can give you hints to abilities (God’s Gifts and Devil’s Gifts) that the average player would have a hard time with locating.

Secondly, this MMO is not based on a fantasy world, but on the duality in men: good and evil. There is a real government and there are wars just like in this world, only in PN between Marines and Pirates. The players are all human and also fight like in a human way: gunfights, swordfights, sea-battles, ... You will not find fantasy characters as mages, rogues or derivatives hereof in the entire game. Exception to this are the creatures, which are based purely on mythology, and the abilities that can let you do great things.

Thirdly, the player can have a ship that he or she can freely use as transportation over the vast oceans to other islands and or main lands. When joining a crew, a member will receive the ability to teleport on the ship, and when the ship isn’t active/at sea, around the captain. The interaction with the crew is very important, and together you stand stronger. As in Knight Online™, when having a guild and play together, the Party/Guild will receive higher bonuses in experience and in gold.

Fourthly, there are two types of abilities that a player can get: God’s Gifts and Devil’s Gifts. God’s Gifts are transformation abilities, whereas Devil’s Gifts are the more combat related abilities. These abilities can be “received” (as they are gifts) by solving puzzles, manuscript or mazes. The more difficult is the puzzle, manuscript, maze or derivatives hereof, the most likely the stronger the ability is. Some abilities will be received by doing the quests, or just by pure chance that you found a Manuscript.

A small number of Game Mechanics:
  • Realistic Weather-conditions based on the real life northern hemisphere of this earth
  • Weather influences over abilities
  • No name-tags above the player (You can find out a player's name by right clicking, opening the menu)
  • Player Achievements and Bonusses
  • Infinite Gameplay possibility
  • Honour Points
  • Quests
  • Duels and Tournaments
  • Crew voice chat (optionally available)
  • Illnesses
  • Classless system
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 13, 11:36:19 PM by PN-Dwight »

madz370@hotmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: MMO - Pirates' Nest
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 11, 05:52:54 PM »

Wohoo its almost like playing a game where you are Luffy! One Piece refferenses much ;)

Not seen as a bad thing though i love that anime. And if its not taken from that series well done anyway^^, like the presentation very very much!

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 11, 05:59:28 PM »

sorry already beat ya to the one piece reference when he was asking bout weather... damn we are all nerds here... but hey without us the casual gamers and closet nerds would have nothing to play on.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 11, 11:24:00 PM »

There are indeed "small" references in there to One Piece such as the abilities, though 85% of the abilities I haven't come across yet in the Anime :P
For example: did you ever see a person transform into a wooden plank or a rock? :D

As well are there elements of POTC: "Pirates' Nest", which is like the main capital/island, is somewhat like that big fortress in the third movie I believe where they fight and choose their new pirate king->queen.

Furthermore, if one could find a video about sea-battles in their online game (POTCO), I wanted to use that as a basis for sea-battles, where one can take the helm, the other crew members can take the cannons as well use their abilities (to transform into water beings) to fight other ships / SEA-KINGS *cough*.

The more "strange animals" are simply called "Creatures" in Pirates' Nest, and are all based on mythological legendary creatures.

Thanks for your replies :D

phantomhood

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 11, 12:41:04 AM »

For example: did you ever see a person transform into a wooden plank or a rock? :D

in naruto i have :)

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 11, 01:00:19 AM »

There are indeed "small" references in there to One Piece such as the abilities, though 85% of the abilities I haven't come across yet in the Anime :P

As well are there elements of POTC: "Pirates' Nest", which is like the main capital/island, is somewhat like that big fortress in the third movie I believe where they fight and choose their new pirate king->queen.

Furthermore, if one could find a video about sea-battles in their online game (POTCO), I wanted to use that as a basis for sea-battles, where one can take the helm, the other crew members can take the cannons as well use their abilities (to transform into water beings) to fight other ships / SEA-KINGS *cough*.

The more "strange animals" are simply called "Creatures" in Pirates' Nest, and are all based on mythological legendary creatures.

Thanks for your replies :D

Yeah ive seen POTCO battle and used em... though thier systems are very very elementary your's should be much more advanced as you are not making a game for little kids... just youtube some battles or even better POTCO is free... though limited when free so just make an account and frap it for research.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 11, 01:44:22 AM »

in naruto i have :)

Ah, Ye :D But that's not a plank, it's more like uhhh a piece of a tree (Can't remember the English word).
Still, my rock-transformation is still awesome for hiding. And especially effective without the name tags.

Yeah ive seen POTCO battle and used em... though thier systems are very very elementary your's should be much more advanced as you are not making a game for little kids... just youtube some battles or even better POTCO is free... though limited when free so just make an account and frap it for research.

I just liked the steering and shooting of cannonballs in that way. But you are absolutely right that it is too elementary for a REAL pirate. PN's game mechanics include a more real feel (as you can also fall of your ship and use an ability to fight). Though I have not thought about how to repair the ship. (Though I have the next 4 expansion-packs already ready :s

I already made an account and played it to the full limits of a free account :)

P.S.: The game mechanics are great to have, and one could make it as complex as possible, but performance should not be forgotten, as well as learning curves of individuals.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 11, 01:53:12 AM »

aye and because disney didnt wanna devote a lot of resources they simplified combat to a simple arc... longer the distance more arc you needed with an evantual and inevitable falloff.  However and especially since you are utilizing weather it too should effect the shots.  Merely establishing a script linked to the ships helm you could easily say when item in use camera goes to here allowing for ship view or keep it realistic and have them command the ship from the helm with the ability to turn thier camera as a person on the helm would turn thier head... with a spotter saying where to turn say in the crows nest they can gain extra ability to sail.  Cannon fire too could call upon stored area variables utilizing the x y z coordinate system... if the cannon is moving along only the x axis then it is moving east or west depending on if the shot is rising or falling on the x then ya know which direction compare this to direction of wind across the axises

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 11, 02:00:37 AM »

A little side note... if ya ever wanna trade skills... and if ya good at doing certain things I need help with check out my recruiting for projects post.  I have a unique ability to see patterns and concepts that nobody else can see... basicly I am House MD, meets Psych, meets (insert name of any person able to see through time and space without using the main senses)...  Though funny thing... I am actually quite an ass like House and quite lazy like sean... might be why I never put all this knowledge and abilities to good productive use until now.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 11, 02:04:40 AM »

aye and because disney didnt wanna devote a lot of resources they simplified combat to a simple arc... longer the distance more arc you needed with an evantual and inevitable falloff.  However and especially since you are utilizing weather it too should effect the shots.  Merely establishing a script linked to the ships helm you could easily say when item in use camera goes to here allowing for ship view or keep it realistic and have them command the ship from the helm with the ability to turn thier camera as a person on the helm would turn thier head... with a spotter saying where to turn say in the crows nest they can gain extra ability to sail.  Cannon fire too could call upon stored area variables utilizing the x y z coordinate system... if the cannon is moving along only the x axis then it is moving east or west depending on if the shot is rising or falling on the x then ya know which direction compare this to direction of wind across the axises

I now stored my Game Design Folder on my external harddrive. How did you breach my security measures? :D

I don't want weather to be of any effect to the heavier cannonballs, as it would cost too much performance shooting 100's of them. The effect of the weather on the sea are more view-related (mist, lightning, ..).

I see that your ideas resemble mine greatly, which I didn't expect.. :o You're ideas sound very promising indeed :)

All in all, I like the camera placements in POTCO with regard to their cannonneering. But I'm extending the battles with more flexible movements, and of course the ability-usage.

Edit: On your sidenote, Im still working on my project and want the GDD/GDF to be representable to other people as well, since the folder hierarchy is quite complex. Working on it, and it does sound very interesting :)

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 11, 02:36:36 AM »

You should create two GDD in my opinion... one for dev eyes only one for player eyes... this limits many of your secrets while containing summaries for everyone else.

And actually I could breach any security in the world if i really wanted to... every system has a weak point all ya have to do is find it... that is why they hire antihackers to pruposely breach so they know what they did and can seal it.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 11, 06:33:52 AM »

Updates:

- Removed content (broken links -> Please have a look at our new website: http://www.sc-entertainment.com)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 12, 08:45:58 AM by dwight.gijzen »

ifconfig

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 11, 09:03:02 PM »

When you guys are  looking for  HSL scripters would you mind updating  this post?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 11, 02:20:30 AM »

Are you a HSL scripter with an imaginitive mind who besides scripting is also interested in shaping the game in general? :)

ifconfig

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 11, 02:23:39 AM »

Sent you a private message
Pages: [1] 2 3 4