HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Setting up Art Server  (Read 2000 times)

cheyennecloud

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Setting up Art Server
« on: Jul 03, 10, 12:17:22 AM »

The wiki is not very clear on this.  These are the steps I can figure out.

1) Set up an /HE folder.

2) Set up a /Character folder under it.

Wiki Says:
After the Hero Engine root folder, .../HE/, there are only a couple required folders. /Character/ should follow /HE/ as Hero Engine looks for this folder for Character files.

but only mentions /Character.

3) Set up other folders as desired.

Wiki Says:
Any folder created after the .../HE/ root directory will need to be duplicated in the repository via the Repository Browser. Any folder made in the repository must also be made on the Art Server.

My repository already has a bunch of folders on the server.

What do I do now?  Instructions end on wiki.....
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 03:52:38 PM by HE-Cooper »

gregoberfield

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Art Server
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 10, 11:03:38 AM »

What we've done is set up a directory structure that mimics the repo browser.  At least for the artists working on exporting.  To be honest, we only worry about the pathing when we're getting ready to export.  Otherwise we use our own SVN structure to track everything.

So on my hard drive for example I have /HE/world/resources (or whatever the path is, I'm on my Mac right now so I can't see) all the way down.  When I convert a texture to DDS I drop it into the proper /textures folder in the path, then open the model in Max and switch it to a HeroMaterial pointing at that DDS file - then export into the same file structure.

From there I just copy the files into the repo browser and it's all good.

cheyennecloud

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 10, 11:37:56 AM »

Ok, I can do that also.  I would much rather build in a clean world though.  Not sure I want all the demo stuff mixed in.  Without the ability to create new worlds such as Dev/QA/Release this is somewhat of an organizational nightmare.

gregoberfield

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 10, 01:21:07 PM »

I asked about that as well - best thing I can suggest is that you use the repo to identify things - actually, anything in the repo that you'll access (via library) is going to be art/sound assets so there won't be dev/qa/prod versions of that in there anyway.

From the world itself - i asked something similar and didn't get a satisfactory answer.  Then again we're all in development mode anyway so it's not like we need separate worlds.  Moving forward though towards release I would rather publish finished product than have all the test stuff hanging around.

For now we've created folders in the organizer for test areas to keep them separate.

evanion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 10, 02:16:23 PM »

If i understod my project lead right, HE compiles a list of what assests are used, and only include those in the publication. unused assets are not included.