HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Question about Saving  (Read 1280 times)

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
[RESOLVED] Question about Saving
« on: Oct 18, 11, 02:23:47 PM »

I know that the engine saves on it's own. I'm just curious as to how often the HeroEngine saves. Is it every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or something entirely different? The reason I am curious is because there are times when I change something and then log off, and then once I log back on the changes are no longer there. In order to let the changes take effect I have to walk away for a bit and then come back and close out. The reason I am asking is because this becomes problematic when I have to go to work and I am working on my area. I close out so I can leave for work (don't have time to let it sit before I log off) and then I come back later after work to work on it and the changes are no longer there.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 12, 12:58:35 PM by HE-Cooper »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Question about Saving
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 11, 03:06:30 PM »

Are you sure that you are always in the EDIT mode and not in the PLAY (instance) mode while editing your worlds/areas?

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 11, 03:35:18 PM »

I believe so, I could accidentally be in Play mode instead of edit, but I don't ever change it from edit to play so I am doubting this is a possibility. I will double check to be sure, but I am still curious on how often it saves if anyone knows for sure.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 11, 03:56:00 PM »

The work you are doing is in real time. And the area server saves any time it recognizes that you've made changes. Sometimes, if you make only a small amount of changes and then log out, it might not have recognized the small changes you made as needing to update until it was too late.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Area_.DAT_file

This link isn't a ton of information, but breaks it down nicely, and shows you how to do a manual save for situations like you are experiencing.

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 11, 04:12:12 PM »

I detailed the mechanics of area editing in the Player Housing tutorial with an illustration of the process.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Player_Housing_Tutorial#So_How_does_Editing_Work.3F

Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 11, 06:20:59 PM »

Thanks for the info guys!

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 11, 12:25:43 AM »

in the top menu File>Write Area.dat>, will make a write/save to the area manually. also can press F5 and create area checkpoints, it stores the save just in case you mess up and want to revert to an earlier point of that area.  it also allows a few other restore options along with that. good luck.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 11, 12:27:19 AM by info360covers »