HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Space Navigator / 3Dmouse  (Read 2224 times)

JasonDunham

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Space Navigator / 3Dmouse
« on: Oct 19, 11, 01:13:19 PM »

I have a space navigator 3Dmouse by 3Dconnexion, has anyone gotten one working inside HB? would make terrain editing super easy.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Space Navigator / 3Dmouse
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 11, 01:39:07 PM »

I haven't used mine yet; however, the most recent beta drivers should allow you to use it.  I just haven't gotten around to updating thing and putting it into use in this environment.  I have (with older drivers from the beta) been able to use it in most games so I see no reason it couldn't be.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 11, 04:18:19 PM »

You got me looking into this as I haven't really been using my 3D mouse as of late.

Here is where you can download the beta drivers that should work:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-software/anywhere.html

JasonDunham

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 11, 07:41:01 PM »

Thanks!

So I have the beta drivers now, but the 3Dmouse is verry unreliable now, its behavior is quite unpredictable.
I've spent the last hour or so trying to program it to behave the way it does stock for my most important programs, and I haven't even tried using it in HB.

we will have to see.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 11, 10:26:53 PM »

I upgraded my beta drivers and loaded up heroblade.  I found some axises to work. I set it up quickly with keyboard bindings and it worked just fine.  Probably can set up 3dmouse directly via the input system for better support but the key binding works fine.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 11, 09:19:20 AM »

I've been interested in this sort of device for a while, I'm curious if it is as useful as it seems it could be. Have any of you used it in Max or Maya?  What did you think of it?

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 11, 11:06:47 AM »

I've used it mostly in Lightwave.  It is very useful in such environments.  The main problem has been that it is only useful in programs that directly support it, making it an expensive paper weight when you didn't have a program that had support.

Latest drivers in beta give it drivers more like game pad software, allowing configuration that widens the usefulness.

Edit: These latest drivers are beta and not really stable yet.  But before that, support had to be written in to the application itself for you to use these devices, so if Maya didn't specifically write in support, the device was nice pretty brick on your desk.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 11, 01:53:32 PM by DragonFist »

mproducer

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Suspicious-Activity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 11, 12:34:18 PM »

I have one that I bought at GDC several years ago, used it for 3DSMax, but never thought to try it with HE.
Now I want to go pull it out of the box and download the drivers.
John Nelson
Suspicious-Activity
Developer of "Galaxy of DOOM"

JasonDunham

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 11, 01:07:07 AM »

I absolutely love it. I use it in my modelling process constantly, and have wished for it to work inside non supported editors for a while.

I am an interface nut, I have currently operational on my desk right now, the 3d mouse, a regular scroll mouse, an orbit trackball with scroll ring, a generic drawing tablet, a belkin nostromo N52, 2 gamepads, a wireless keyboard, a microphone, I-pad2 with custom keypad software, a Wii-Mote, and an Xbox kinect which currently just moves up and down to better track my face.

By far the most useful piece is the space navigator 3d mouse. theres really no way to replace its function except with another one.

P.S. still missing from my ultimate interface collection:
Cintiq
Emotiv Epoch

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 11, 08:56:49 AM »

Certainly a glowing recommendation :D  I may have to bite the bullet and give one a try.

Also:  Ooooooooooh, Cintiq.    :D

demonseedgfx

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 11, 08:05:46 AM »

Use mine in max all the time. It should be a stock item when you buy max. The time it saves once you get used to it is out of this world.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 11, 08:51:15 AM »

Certainly a glowing recommendation :D  I may have to bite the bullet and give one a try.

Also:  Ooooooooooh, Cintiq.    :D

Get the Cintiq 24 HD, it's a god's gift!! I'm still working on the 21ux (which is quite awesome as well); I tried it in HeroEngine, and it works like a charm :)

demonseedgfx

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 11, 08:59:12 AM »

Oh how I would love a one of those on my desk.