HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Water cubemap issues  (Read 2699 times)

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
[Resolved] Water cubemap issues
« on: Oct 20, 11, 02:07:51 PM »

Hello once again everyone, another dumb question for the masses if I may. I have been trying to create a cubemap for water to use in order to try and create a better looking water effect (as the developers of HeroEngine suggest) but I am having a hell of a time. I have created the cubemap using the templates I found in the downloads section, yet when I set that cubemap to the body of water I want, it doesn't seem right. Does anyone have an example I could look at? Something with the dimensions that should be used and which style of cubemap I should be using. If you are able to share that would be fantastic!
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 04:22:36 PM by HE-Cooper »

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Water cubemap issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 11, 02:40:00 PM »

A screenshot of the issue will probably help those who know point you in the right direction.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 11, 03:06:35 PM »

are you following the advice of the wiki?

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Cubemap

Then all the types and properties of water are outlined here:

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/How_to_create_water

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 11, 05:33:17 PM »

That tutorial for the cubemap helped out a lot Cooper, thank you. I have been having issues accessing the wiki recently. For some reason chrome has been acting weird with wiki sites the past few days, but that tutorial came up fine and helped a lot.

Now on a side note, is the water in HeroEngine able to produce white caps for like an ocean style water, or would that still be simulated through cubemaps?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 11, 06:31:14 PM »

Well, the default water is flat, so whatever you can texture and animate is what you'd be able to do without extra models or particle fx. Scrolling textures are the choice of 99 percent of games out there.