HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Issues importing custom textures  (Read 1217 times)

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
[Resolved] Issues importing custom textures
« on: Nov 04, 11, 01:36:04 PM »

Okay, so I am trying to import my own textures into HeroEngine so I can texture the ground, it use to be in the old version of HeroEngine that you just drop it into a folder in the repo and then you could navigate to that folder in the select texture window. With the new version apparently you can no longer navigate out, all that sows up is the "Generic" section with the predefined textures. I tried dropping my textures into that folder (Engine -> CleanGame -> TerrainMaps -> Generic) and they still don't show up. Do I need to log out of HE in order for them to show up after loading them into the repo? Or is there a new trick to using custom textures?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 02:50:00 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Issues importing custom textures
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 11, 03:00:23 PM »

There are three considerations when attempting to add your own terrain textures:

* filename_suffix.dds : Diffuse textures require the _d suffix, Bump+Spec textures require the _n suffix.
    * filename_suffix.dds : like all Textures used in HeroEngine, they must be in Dds format!
    * Location! : the 'select texture' dialog looks in \World\LiveContent\TerrainMaps\ and its sub-directories for terrain textures. Make sure to add your textures there, or they will not be found by the select texture dialog.

DWS_Josh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Dark Wing Studios
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 11, 08:32:45 PM »

Okay thanks Cooper, I was apparently putting the files into the wrong folder. Thanks again for your help!

Valion310

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Expansion:  Rise of Humanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 11, 10:57:40 AM »

As far as the .dds files, is that a file extension we just manually create when saving the file?  I've been looking for a wiki to clarify, and I've read online a little about .dds formats.  Guess I'm asking do we need a special plug in for .dds to be legit?  Or if we just manually .dds the file it will be good to go?

Good info above, didn't consider the extensions were mandatory.  Will update those as we're doing the same thing as Newman it sounds like.
Valion
Game Manager & Director
Prowler Art Studio

"Failure is not an option......"

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 11, 11:24:50 AM »

Not too many programs support dds natively.  We use GIMP, though only for exporting as I don't particularly like it for editing.  Other places on the forums people have mentioned other programs for that format.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 11, 11:28:17 AM »

Use the Nvidia texture tools available on their site to convert files (or export from Photoshop) DDS files

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy