HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: LEGO Universe Shutting Down :(  (Read 1326 times)

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
LEGO Universe Shutting Down :(
« on: Nov 11, 11, 08:32:32 AM »

I enjoyed playing this game for the few days that I played it when it launched last year.  It was a treat for myself, a game I knew I'd blow through quickly so the upfront cost of buying the game at launch for full price and conquering all the content in three days didn't bother me:

http://messageboards.lego.com/en-us/showpost.aspx?PostID=4504061

There are a few things I note about the game from a business perspective, and I think any one of them might make an interesting topic of a HeroEngine blog post written by someone with more researchin' and analyzin' skillz than me:

• While the F2P model has been successfully implemented in a previously pay-to-play game to resurrect the revenue stream of a few games (LotRO, DDO, WAR to a certain extent) it needs to be coupled with effective marketing and refocused development: the game has to be better from every angle because the people playing it now don't have $20-50 invested in it already.  
  • LEGO Universe is the first pay-to-play game I have ever played that didn't require you to enter some credit card details for an automatic rebill after the first free month that came with the game.  While I appreciate their billing practice as a customer, they would have probably gotten at least 75% more money from me over a few months before I forgot to cancel, which would have been good for them.  (Allowing your credit card to rebill month after month forgetfully is hilariously common among online game players.)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 11, 08:34:18 AM by Bear »

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: LEGO Universe Shutting Down :(
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 11, 08:47:04 AM »

(Allowing your credit card to rebill month after month forgetfully is hilariously common among online game players.)

I usually only forget the first month. Then I figure I might as well play another month. Then something happens and I end up playing another 3 months in addition to that :/