HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Idiot Newb Question... :/  (Read 473 times)

TheMewt

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Idiot Newb Question... :/
« on: Oct 19, 19, 01:31:44 AM »

Hello everyone!  😊  I know you don’t see me a lot on the forums.  That’s because I am an idiot newb, so I just stalk you all trying to learn something.

When I say “newb,” I’m paying for a HE server and I don’t know how to program… O.O

I know, I know.  But cut me some slack here.  I have a dream and I am chasing it as best as I can.  😊

So, here is a question I have for you fine folk.

I am trying to learn C++ since HSL is layered on it.

I have no idea what I am doing.  Seriously.

I need a product that I can learn from in a friendly and fun way.  Both NP++ and Ultra Edit have been recommended to me.  However NP++ does not compile and I do not know if Ultra Edit does or does not.

What I would love to hear from you folks is what YOU recommend I get and use.

I want you to pretend that I am a 10 year old wide eyed kid that is absolutely fascinated and enthralled at what I am looking at, but have no clue how to use it.  I need something fun to learn from, like gaming.  And it needs to be able to compile in the end (I at least know that much  😊 )

So what do you all say?

Thank you very, VERY much for this.  I really appreciate it!

Hey, also, what “newb” book or book series would you recommend?  I need a book that keeps my interest, not one that turns my brain numb…  😊

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 19, 01:33:22 AM by TheMewt »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: Idiot Newb Question... :/
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 19, 10:53:25 AM »

I was also interested in making games for the computer when I was young and I bought my first computer. It was a Commodore 64. I tried inputting a program i saw in a magazine, without a clue on what I was doing as a teenager. This is what interested me in learning the field of programming. In high school I took my first class - Basic, and loved how it made things happen, even if it was just a simple terminal.

In college (1981) I took more advanced class on Basic, but saw it was not going to get me very far. I then took many different languages looking for 1 that could help. I took assembly to learn how the language told the computer what to do, line by line it was the most detailed. Finally I took a C+ class, and saw that  was the easiest to program and see results. In my 20s I was helping my brother make video games like Golden Axe, a 2d side scroller.

It can take months learning how to program, and years to master the language. On and off I have spent about 35+ years, and I am still learning more in the using the engine to make one of the most advanced type of games there is - an MMO. How much you want to learn before starting can determine how long it will take to make your game.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 19, 01:49:05 PM »

For compiling the script used in the engine, the script editor they have in engine is best.

I used a masm editor for compiling assembly language code.

You might have seen this compiler, that this site explains about http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/introduction/
Though once you learn C++, you would still need to learn how to script as its kind of different, and why some programmers don't want to learn it.

The engine has many parts that make a game. Working on your own and getting code to do things can take weeks just for learning the basics, like getting more than a few sentences to show on the screen.  Things like graphics, and sounds, and loading and saving data.

Learning about games, there is a lot of information on the internet.  Though sometimes learning 1st hand and getting together with a group that is making a game can help. There might be a few groups that have room for someone new and wanting to see how it happens.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 19, 09:01:34 AM »

There are no noob questions, thats for sure.

You have decided to jump in at the deep end i see. It will be a long uphill battle, but if you stick it out, you will get there eventually.

Take it one step at a time and dont give up when you get frustrated. Start by reading. Lots of reading of the basics. Then watch the video tutorials. Try following the most basic ones first.

Many people start off by trying to edit current systems in HE. That is a big mistake, especially as a brand new coder. Start by making your own very basic of functions.

As you are learning to code from scratch, you have the advantage of not having any preconceptions of how code should look, which will be handy gor training into HE.

If you have the guts and the will, it will take you several months to learn the basics and then you just continue to progress from there.

I wish you luck and good fortune. Please feel free to ask any questions you have and someone will likely help you out soon enough. Check out Thazagers coding tutorial vids as a good start.

https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,6629.0.html

TheMewt

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 19, 05:09:56 PM »

I *VERY* much appreciate everyone's help - and yes, I am jumping into the deep end without a life vest.

I apologize for my delayed reply.  I really don't like to make this public, but I am battling cancer right now.  So, this project has become an obsession for me.

I'm dedicated, but I am very slow.  So, I appreciate your understanding.  Thanks HE Team!

stevenclark

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 19, 05:22:37 AM »

Dont give up, Mobile Game Development Company are not easy, and an MMO is 1 of the hardest to make. But joining a team and learning can help get new people started and creative work.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 19, 10:46:54 AM by HE-SARRENE »