HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved| A few questions regarding hero engine  (Read 2847 times)

Benjamin3859

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved| A few questions regarding hero engine
« on: Nov 17, 11, 12:38:37 PM »

Hello,

Me and a small team ( 9 people ) are looking at creating a game. I am currently evaluating every possible game engine to game kit for our project.

I just have a few questions about hero engine.

1. I noticed that hero script is based on C++. How easy would it be to learn for an absolute newcomer to hero script?

2. I noticed that you are adding .fbx to your art pipeline. Does this have a solid date? The reason why I ask this is that we have team members that use both 3ds and Blender 3D. I am more worried about the Blender 3D people on the team.

3. How much space (GB) in game is allowed per hero cloud account?

4. Compared to the source engine how easily would a artist transfer over to the Hero Engine?

Thank you for your time :)

Ben
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 12, 10:31:40 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: A few questions regarding hero engine
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 11, 12:53:22 PM »

HSL makes sense to any experienced engineers, but is complex less because of the language, and more because all the concepts and architecture that exist within the client to server environment are new (and complicated) for most engineers.

FBX is still a long way out. But even having one copy of max or maya would mean you could easily just run your Blender models through Max.

We technically don't have a cap, and no one has reached a level where we would be concerned. I'm not sure you would have the time to dedicate to uploading enough gigs of textures and sound files to reach a point where we'd be concerned.

The art pipeline is the same as every other online project I've worked on. Make art. Put art in folder. Upload art to same folder online. Except in our engine everyone sees the art update in real time, which is neat and easier to work on problems and fixes.

Benjamin3859

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 11, 01:07:58 PM »

Hey, Thanks for the very quick reply and the in depth answers :)

I am also looking into open development for our project (Similar to what Minecraft has done)

Would this be allowed with hero engine?
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 11, 01:10:01 PM by Benjamin3859 »

Benjamin3859

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 11, 01:46:00 PM »

You have 99 seats to do with as you please.

So we can hand out seats to the press! Awesome!

Thanks HE Cooper you have really made a difference in choosing my engine of choice.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 11, 02:23:34 PM »

Yeah. If you want the press making edits in your game. :-)

Benjamin3859

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 11, 11:21:45 AM »

I really want to be open about the development of our game. Is there any way to give a limited access account when still in alpha? or pre alpha even?

and One more question - we are looking at custom content creation tools for hero engine. (Similar to Spore) would we need the source license for this?
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 11, 11:24:30 AM by Benjamin3859 »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 11, 11:56:11 AM »

There wouldn't be a way to hand out access to your game early on. Mostly this is because development servers are not built to perform or handle the load that player access creates. But we are here to get people what they need to make money off of their products. So if you had a great looking game that had made real progress in art and engineering and level design, we can discuss providing an environment or an avenue by which the press could access your game. There are experienced teams, with games at a good stage of progress in our midst on the cloud who by special request have been given player client source code for their development world, for instance.

You would almost certainly need source code to build custom creation of assets into your game, but I could envision scaled down aspects that could be accomplished by some very knowledgable tech artists and engineers in the cloud using facegen and a number of different skeletons, meshes and textures, but there would never be a way for players to "upload" new content to the game space on the HeroCloud.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 11, 12:58:42 PM »

I really want to be open about the development of our game. Is there any way to give a limited access account when still in alpha? or pre alpha even?

and One more question - we are looking at custom content creation tools for hero engine. (Similar to Spore) would we need the source license for this?

When you believe you have something to show if you wanna take it to press goto one of the gaming conventions or G4TV and put it in player mode and show it off... not quite the same as actual player but then you can do a live demonstration.  Or you can contact various game magazines, ezines and such to show it to in person.

Just a few ideas.