HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Extruding Faces in 3d Art Programs Stretches Textures  (Read 2188 times)

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Extruding Faces in 3d Art Programs Stretches Textures
« on: Nov 20, 11, 12:06:03 PM »

Hello there,

Im new to modeling, tried many things, but am running into something i cant seem to fix easily.
I created a model for a guard tower / gate of a large wall or castle.

Everything went fine, untill i went on to apply a nice brick texture. Ill attach the  render below.

I am just applying one texture, to the whole model. Why is it showing up nice on some parts, and why does it look so crazy on other parts ? And what can i do to fix this ?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 11, 07:51:28 PM by HE-Cooper »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: What am i missing / doing wrong (Model texture woes)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 11, 01:41:17 PM »

You are fairly new to modelling. Basically because you stretched out the wall, it stretched out the texture there as well. A texture can be applied, but that doesn't mean that it fits automatically!!!

Can easily be fixed by unwrapping. What program are you using? in 3DS MAX it's:
http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials/3ds/texture_stealth/
( Easy way to do it )

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 11, 02:30:09 PM »

I am not sure if thats the problem.

The tower was made fairly simple.

I started with a box, and then just extruded upwards. Still, som eparts look good, and others dont.
I will check out that site you pointed me at.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 11, 03:20:34 PM »

I am not sure if thats the problem.

The tower was made fairly simple.

I started with a box, and then just extruded upwards. Still, som eparts look good, and others dont.
I will check out that site you pointed me at.

It's the extruding that did it, apply a texture to a cube and then extrude the cube... Besides, just applying a material without doing anything else (website I mentioned) is not the way of "texturing". It is NOT that simple.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Extruding Faces in 3d Art Programs Stretches Textures
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 11, 07:51:02 PM »

ActualFantasy, the problem you are experiencing, as Dwight points out, is not really a problem, it's a basic understanding of functionality in 3d modeling and texturing. I would recommend some beginner tutorials in texturing in Max or Maya as the right place to start.

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Extruding Faces in 3d Art Programs Stretches Textures
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 11, 03:45:46 AM »

ActualFantasy, the problem you are experiencing, as Dwight points out, is not really a problem, it's a basic understanding of functionality in 3d modeling and texturing. I would recommend some beginner tutorials in texturing in Max or Maya as the right place to start.

Thanks both for your help. I followed the link Dwight gave me, and ill upload the result tonight ;) Its much better now.

I do have a question though. The front of the tower is extruded exactly the same way. Is it just because its narrower that this texture "seems" to fit better.

Anyways, i already got myselve a book about 3ds, its just that i got "ahead" of myselve, and wanted to try stuff. I did not get to the texture chapter yet ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 11, 01:12:25 PM by ActualFantasy »

demonseedgfx

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 11, 03:42:51 PM »

With 3ds max after doing changes to the base model use reset xform. It helps keep things working as they should. Might not correct your problem right now but will help with exporting and such.

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 11, 05:59:26 AM »

Thank you all for all the tips. Had some spare time again, tried my hand at texturing some more today.

Result is looking much better already, but now something else happens, and i might as well ask it here.

Both images are taken in my world, but in the second one, my view is shifted to the left a little. The tower behind gets visible suddenly then,

Is this a texture problem, and if so, any pointers as to where to look ?