HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Is it a good idea to use prefixes on all game specific scripts?  (Read 1628 times)

joshwebb84

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Yes my quest is just what the title says ,Is it a good idea to use prefixes on all game specific scripts?

why i ask this is one I not a top notch programmer but I know enough to get my way around HSL and am currently working on starting the  basic systems in which are going to run our game and like when I followed the guide on adding game specific system nodes you pretty much have to use a prefix so to not override the default system nodes so I thinking of using the prefix I used so that when  my friend which is our scripter  starts working on it next week after thanksgiving he knows from the  get go all the scripts I write so he can go behind me and fix any errors that may be in my code and fix it or be able to tell me how to fix it (because he has thought me alot and thats how he usually points my errors out anyway)

so do you all think it good idea to use a prefix on all the game specific scripts?
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 12, 08:37:45 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Is it a good idea to use prefixes on all game specific scripts?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 11, 10:08:32 PM »

Sure is.  We have a naming convention of putting Voz at the start of all class and script names, and then for fields, enums and associations having it not in the name but in the descriptions of them.  That way, we can enter that into the filter text box in the Open Script dialog of the script editor or the DOM editor and see only the items we made.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

joshwebb84

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a good idea to use prefixes on all game specific scripts?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 11, 10:12:13 PM »

Thanks I going to because just what you said makes alot of sense on filtering it out when your looking for scripts