HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Texturing Issue/Questions With 3DS Max and HeroEngine  (Read 1939 times)

38darkness42

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hey all.

So recently I've been trying to import some models to my Repository. Made it that far with configuring it all right and stuff but the issue is I downloaded models previously from Dexsoft games. I imported the model with the FBX format (Because any of the models I downloaded are her graphics mesh) So the model I imported had no texture, so I decided to texture it myself. I followed the tutorial on YouTube by HeroEngine and here's what I got with the texture layout:

So I think I have all the textures right? Anyways...
Then to show the textures on the model I selected Map #1 Bitmap and select "Show shaded material in vieport" and then another list pops up. Which says "Show on (Standard)" and "Show on Material #35 Hero" I clicked "Show on (standard)" Then selected the "Material #35 Hero" Box and selected "Show Shaded Material in Viewport"

So with that it shows this...

And then the texture on the model appears.

Ok so after that I export like usual, make sure I exported in .hgm. Put that bad boy in my repository, loaded HeroEngine, imported model, and bam...

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know it's in managing the textures somewhere, probably with the HeroMaterial. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue please?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 04:35:26 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Texturing Issue/Questions With 3DS Max and HeroEngine
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 11, 09:10:07 PM »

98% chance you have used a different path to export the textures than you did when you uploaded them. Open the console window, check for errors. It will most likely give you the path it's trying to find the texture in. You need to either re-export the asset to have the texture in the right directory, or move the texture in the repository to the correct folder.

38darkness42

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 11, 09:19:20 PM »

Alright so considering this is what happens when I import the model...

(Sorry about the small picture)

Do I just need to put the texture file inside the folder where I exported the model to inside the repository? (Of course the texture would be .dds)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 11, 09:54:38 PM »

I'm on my phone so I can't see that ultra tiny image. But it looks as though it's throwing a path error. In the myriad solutions available to you, the simplest would be to get the texture into the correct folder. More than likely, since you've run into this problem, you haven't set up your art depot and export folder hierarchy to match the repository, and I'd recommend following Bennett's latest set of art tutorials, which can be found on our youtube channel.

38darkness42

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 11, 10:30:22 PM »

Sweet thanks.

Edit: Ok this is awesome I finally got it to work thanks for your help but now I have one more question. Whenever I import the models I bought from a website into a modeling program there is no texture on it, right. But say I have an older game engine (It's called RealmCrafter, I used it as a prototype) When I import the models in there, the textures for the building and walls are already in the model. Is there any way I can grab that texture and import it in the modeling program? Because the only reason why I use the modeling program for this situation is to convert it from .fbx to .hgm. In other game engines the texture is already there. The textures I'm using right now is just a simple wood texture just to test it out and what it looks like in HeroEngine for all models.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 11, 01:36:40 AM by 38jonathan42 »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 11, 09:31:26 AM »

hmmm.  Well it's hard to say how to do it with so many variables, but I'm sure there is a way.  It's possible that you simply need to adjust the fbx import settings in 3DS Max. 

38darkness42

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 11, 04:14:38 PM »

I have it all solved now. :D Thanks Cooper and Bennett for the help.