HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [CLOSED]Programmer volunteer looking for a formed team  (Read 4915 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
[CLOSED]Programmer volunteer looking for a formed team
« on: Oct 30, 11, 03:46:48 AM »

Hi,

I would like to volunteer on a indie mmorpg project as programmer in my free time (well, unless i get paid enough so i can make a living :) ). I have a degree in electrical engineering and computing, and currently working for a large telecommunications corporation as a developer of ethernet/IP family of protocols. I have 10 years of coding expirience with various programming and scripting languages.
I have worked with jmonkey engine and unity 3D, but soon realized that game developing is not one man task, that is why i want to join a team.

I will now just throw couple of ideas on how would my vision of a perfect indie mmorpg look like. These are just to show how ingenious i am, not that i would enforce them on your project :D

persistent sandbox world
time based character development
player-driven economy

To satisfy players which complain about unbalanced <insert item, skill or something else> i would introduce
player-driven balancing, an automated system which would work on a premise that if something is used more frequently, then it's probably overpowered. This automated system would collect usage statistics and accordingly improve/nerf items/skills in very small steps on a daily basis.

To satisfy players which complain about pve being <insert boring, repetitive, hard, easy or something else> i would remove the line between pve and pvp, making classic pve obsolete. The biggest reason is that adding quality pve content in an indie mmo would be impossible (how to compete with SWTOR for example?). So goodbye combat AI.

To satisfy pvp hungry players i would introduce good open world pvp mechanics, where all types of players are encouraged to pvp. The player would bet currency on his survival, the greater bet, the greater reward and the other way around. No bet, no risk, no currency reward.

To satisfy players with wolf pack mentality, who want to leave their trail on the world, i would give them many world building/terraforming options and guilds/corporations.

To satisfy players with lone wolf mentality, i would deny them player-driven economy, trading options and guilds/corporations. In return i would give them stealth.

Too EVE like? Yeah it is a EVE rip off, there IS a market niche for this.
Lore-wise i would go for a world war 2 planes (alternative history mode).
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 12, 01:31:42 AM by AWW_boss »

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Programmer volunteer looking for a formed team
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 11, 09:16:33 AM »

Hello I could definately use a Volunteer coder.  My game I cant say much about until you agree to a confidentiality agreement but it is meant to take every good element from every game in the last 30 years and remove all the bad elements.  We have some rather extreme ideas that could do from a seasoned coder's hand.  Please send me a private message and we will talk.

Also Volunteers will be paid based on contribution at time of release and granted right to claim a full time or part job with the game once it goes live.

shadowfire

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 11, 09:17:17 AM »

oh yeah my world meets your ideal world by the way and I too love eve but mine is more your ideal world than even eve... or rather will be in time.

BraedonH

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 11, 11:28:14 AM »

Some of your idea's actually seem ripped directly from the design docs for our current project. We are currently awaiting approval for a heroengine server but if you would like to talk and take a look at the semi-public release of our design docs you can send me a PM. If you like the docs and would like to join our team then we can talk more later. We work on a pretty standard revenue sharing model you find with alot of indie teams but we try and keep the group small, professional and most importantly only people truly interested in completing the project.

DrainStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 11, 11:40:04 AM »

We need a programmer but we are just a small team and we are still looking for more people.

We will create a MMO, which will take place in the old egypt. It will be one persistent world without instances. The MMO will base upon social interaction (trade, policy, housing, jobs). There are no levels, just skills.
You will get more information if you are interested.  :)

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 11, 05:42:04 PM »

@per_plexed: I sent you a private message.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 11, 03:28:26 PM »

Thank you all for your input.

XeniaRazed

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 11, 12:21:18 PM »

nice. your ideas seem to fall in line with many of the developer ideas here on HeroEngine. i keep thinking everyone should just get together and build, we all have the same ideas!

anyway, could you please update this thread and let me know if you are still available or not? because everyone here is making the same type of game, you are a very popular person. ;)

yes, mine is another Eve + Skyrim idea driven game.

tugowar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 11, 05:37:23 PM »

i keep thinking everyone should just get together and build, we all have the same ideas!

I am in agreement with this.  The problem is everyone wants to control the design and is super protective of their progress.   Lets face it: If you're an independent publisher, the likelihood that you get rich on game development (especially on your first go) is next to nil.  And guess what - most of your design idea isn't original.  We all have the same influences in games and the world.  Sure your implementation of the concept may be original, but...

So instead of approaching the project with a profit incentive, lets do it with the idea: "I want to contribute ot the production of the perfect game, and if I can do it well enough that people would play me to play it, great."

That means that not all the elements of your design may be realized.  Would you be willing to give that up?