HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Bump Mapping  (Read 3324 times)

CaSpivey

• General Accounts
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Bump Mapping
« on: Nov 25, 11, 12:54:08 AM »

I have done several searches both on the wiki and here in the forms and I can not seem to find a definitive answer on how to apply bump mapping on models being exported to HeroEngine. I have looked at everything but adding normal maps does not apply any bump at all, I know spec maps can be put in the alpha of normal's but that just makes things shiny, that's not displacement.

Im at wits end here as nothing seems to apply any level of bump to models at all, yet I am reading everywhere that parallax is supported. If it works on the ground it should work on any model.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:24:35 PM by HE-Cooper »

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Bump Mapping
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 11, 03:22:21 AM »

It's called displacement mapping in Hero. You need to put the displacement map into the alpha on the diffuse map and then check the displacement map checkbox from max or maya.

CaSpivey

• General Accounts
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 11, 09:17:48 PM »

Has anyone actually gotten this to work successfully I have tried several different ways of inserting the height-map/Displacement map into the alpha of the diffuse and it does not make a difference when I compare a displaced model with a regular model, both look exactly the same.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 11, 07:00:59 AM »

Here's the overview of the Hero Material settings, including the various normal maps you're asking about.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Hero_Material

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 11, 12:24:39 PM by HE-Cooper »

EdwardFalzon

• World Owners
  • Author, atheist, polemicist, smart-arse.
    • View Profile
    • Author of "Being Gay is Disgusting"
Re: [Resolved] Bump Mapping
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 13, 10:04:35 AM »

Has anyone actually gotten this to work successfully I have tried several different ways of inserting the height-map/Displacement map into the alpha of the diffuse and it does not make a difference when I compare a displaced model with a regular model, both look exactly the same.

No, I can't get it working, either. I can tell you that I have a DXT5 diffuse with grey-scale alpha that does work for transparency if I click "gradient" or "mask." But clicking "displace" or "glow mask" does nothing for me, either in the working view or rendering.

I've only tried exporting with the "gradient" option to Hero Engine; it's as if I had selected "none" for the alpha layer. No bumpiness at all. I've also tried adding hundreds of vertices to a side, to allow for displacement. No dice.

It's also notable that I have successfully used the grey-scale pattern that's now in the alpha of my texture to manually apply a "displace" modifier to a plane in 3DS Max. This then exports very nicely into HE. I just can't get displacement to work as part of a material.

Also, the http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Hero_Material page is informative but does not help with this problem. Perhaps someone can make a quick video showing a displacement alpha working?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 13, 11:54:33 AM »

I wanna clear something up here.  The term 'displace' as it is used in the HeroMaterial could be misleading.  As mentioned above, it is intended to refer to Bump-Mapping.  Actual displacement mapping causes a surface to be tessellated and deformed at render time, physically altering the surface. This is not that! :P  Just to be clear, lets call it bump-mapping.

Assuming you are talking about bump-mapping, it definitely won't work if you export with the wrong alpha setting; it must be set to 'displace'.

But clicking "displace" or "glow mask" does nothing for me, either in the working view or rendering.
This makes me think you're talking about how the material displays in 3ds Max, which is not necessary indicative of how it will display in HeroEngine.

The real answer is to use normal maps.  They are superior to bump mapping and are necessary to add a specular map as well.

EdwardFalzon

• World Owners
  • Author, atheist, polemicist, smart-arse.
    • View Profile
    • Author of "Being Gay is Disgusting"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 13, 01:14:28 PM »

Ah, okay, just a bump map. That information would have saved me all of yesterday. Normal maps are okay, but displacement is a whole other level of cool.

In any event, it still doesn't seem to work, either in Max or  HE. There seems to be zero visual effect in either application. Yes, obviously I exported with "displace" (please change to "bump" in your next update!) to no effect.

Is there any benefit in using both bump and normal in a single material? I can't think of a reason, but perhaps a graphics person has some ideas?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 13, 01:18:30 PM »

There's no reason to use traditional displacement (there are two different uses of the word displacement here, one is the traditional usage, and the other is the new fangled usage, as a specific feature set).

To get a bump map, the easiest path is through the use of a normal map, which also handles specular.