HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: The student version of 3Ds Max  (Read 6329 times)

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
The student version of 3Ds Max
« on: Nov 25, 11, 10:52:28 AM »

Is it ok if I use the student version of max for my game?

adrix89

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: The student version of 3Ds Max
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 11, 11:00:18 AM »

Since it has a noncommercial clause you cannot release your game.
But you could use it as an exporter until fbx is in,or if you are ready for a production server you can just make the investment since you will make money after.
Alternatively you might be able to attract an artist that has it.
Legally wise you might have some issues, but if you use it as an exporter and the devs implement fbx it means your pipeline will not have any link with that application thus no issue.
Where it gets dodgy is if you have multiple artists that use the student version and one full license,since the assets are created in the student versions for a commercial enterprise it would be technically illegal.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 11, 11:08:31 AM by adrix89 »

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 11, 11:02:15 AM »

Since it has a noncommercial clause you cannot release it.
But you could use it as an exporter until fbx is in,or if you are ready for a production server you can just make the investment since you will make money after.

Could I make models in blender then just use the student version of max for exporting the art pipeline?

adrix89

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 11, 11:15:17 AM »

Could I make models in blender then just use the student version of max for exporting the art pipeline?
That's exactly what I'm saying, however there is a problem with animations.
Not sure if the current pipeline in 3ds max is tied to the bipeds or if there is some issues with exporting animations from blender to 3ds max to hero engine(haven't tried it yet)
But if there is no problem you could fully use blender for development and would only need one license of 3ds max for release,if fbx is not in by then.
For static geometry there should be no issues.

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 11, 11:31:12 AM »

That's exactly what I'm saying, however there is a problem with animations.
Not sure if the current pipeline in 3ds max is tied to the bipeds or if there is some issues with exporting animations from blender to 3ds max to hero engine(haven't tried it yet)
But if there is no problem you could fully use blender for development and would only need one license of 3ds max for release,if fbx is not in by then.
For static geometry there should be no issues.
Am I correct in believing that if you make models in the student version of max and export them into the pipeline thta they would be  watermarked? But if you make the models in blender and export them it will be ok.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 11, 11:56:31 AM »

From I have heard from our art director, I think there is something that is embedded in the files that identifies where it came from, i.e. student version.  Therefore, we have operated under the presumption that using the student version for commercial purposes is a violation even if it is only used for exporting.  After all, even if just exporting, you are still using the program.

That being said, you could use the student version in the meantime.  Just know that before you make things public you should re-export them with a legal commercial copy of max to ensure your asset files have the embedded data identifying them as legal.  But you wouldn't need that, yet, while still only using them in-house.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 11, 12:04:03 PM »

From I have heard from our art director, I think there is something that is embedded in the files that identifies where it came from, i.e. student version.  Therefore, we have operated under the presumption that using the student version for commercial purposes is a violation even if it is only used for exporting.  After all, even if just exporting, you are still using the program.

That being said, you could use the student version in the meantime.  Just know that before you make things public you should re-export them with a legal commercial copy of max to ensure your asset files have the embedded data identifying them as legal.  But you wouldn't need that, yet, while still only using them in-house.

Ok thanks

Central_Plaza

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 11, 06:05:49 PM »

I've never tried it but heres a newbie comment to this board...

"You could open the file with wordpad and delete any traces of it being from 3D Max."

Lol..

adrix89

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 11, 01:45:40 AM »

DRM is not that easy.
That is if it even has any traces.