HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Looking for education on a budget?  (Read 2032 times)

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Looking for education on a budget?
« on: Nov 25, 11, 04:16:58 PM »

After we actually got the HE toolkit in-hand, our team realized how unprepared we are to tackle even the basic design components to create a truly spectacular game.

Recently, Stanford School of Engineering released the entirety of their Intro to Computer Science course in video format.  If you or your team are looking to get learned, or upgrade/refresh your skills, I highly recommend it.  While they do tackle a number of programming languages, they are teaching programming from an engineering perspective.  In the long run, it has made our usage of the HeroScript wiki documentation more productive

http://see.stanford.edu/see/courses.aspx

For the CS106A coursework and lectures, the only item not included in the course materials freely available on the site is a textbook, which we got several of second hand for $50 apiece, which is the total material cost per person to take a stanford-quality course.    You have to work much harder to use these than even a Stanford student might, because you won't have directed group work, but the course is designed to teach Intro to CS to anthro and biology majors, not just CS people.

For more educational materials, we've been using khan academy ( http://khanacademy.org )  to learn the finer points of basic to upper math, including trig and geom and all the good stuff, including probability and statistics.

Hope this is OK to post, and I hope you find it useful.

Anyone else got any awesome educational materials to share that's relevant to MMO development in any way (even free writing workshops for MMO writing development, for example)?

adrix89

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for education on a budget?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 11, 01:26:47 AM »

While not completely relevant to hero engine, 3d buzz has some videos on unity, you could take some ideas from there.
There is also other videos there some even about programming.
If you want to learn blender there is also www.blendercookie.com as well as some other sites out there.
Also http://vimeo.com/user904568 for general concepts

dmccollum

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 11, 07:47:11 AM »

Dietel also has their live lessons videos. I have the Java and C++ videos. I'm teaching my 17 year old son C++ now using those. They are also available with a Safaribooksonline.com monthly subscription. You can get a 5 slot account for about $10.00 a month. I also have the gameinstitute.com's C++ I and II. For free you can check out Youtube and search for "AntiRTFM". He has a 75+ C++ videos and does a very good job explaining the concepts behind c++.

JMurdick

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 11, 06:05:43 AM »

Its not a class or anything, but when I first started working at Simutronics it was recommended (by one of the guys who is a big part of the HSL in CleanEngine) that I pick up a book called Head First Design Patterns.  Its a fantastic book and really explains patterns like Factory, Decorator, and so on.  Super useful if you aren't used to more advanced programming concepts that are in heavy use in HeroEngine.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 11, 10:41:12 AM »

That book certainly gets very good reviews on Amazon.  It is apparently part of a series of "Head First" books.  Have you tried any others?
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 11, 08:42:49 PM »

I've read a number of the Head First books, while they are not the seminal works on the various topics they address they are very approachable and can bridge the gap to the more technically acclaimed works.

Beyond that...

http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1396.msg7217.html#msg7217

Read them, thank me later.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 11, 08:47:47 PM by HE-CHRISTOPHER »
Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine