HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Ocean Color  (Read 2429 times)

Hedron

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Hedron Online
[Resolved] Ocean Color
« on: Apr 15, 12, 02:37:08 PM »

I am brand new to hero so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.  I've searched and read through the wiki, searched the forum, and searched & watched youtube tutorial videos and can't find the answer to my question.

Is there a way to change the color of the ocean?  It defaults to a gaudy, tacky royal blue.  I need it to be light greenish blue for tropical islands.  I have played with the settings and I've tried using river and ripple and still can't get the color to change or the opacity to change.  Raven has water tutorials and I followed his exactly and still can't get the opacity to work.  How can you change the color and opacity of an ocean?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 03:47:06 PM by HE-Cooper »
Evil Bia Games
Hedron Online
www.hedrononline.com

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Ocean Color
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 12, 05:53:35 PM »

Open the properties window to change opacity and color settings. But the cube map for the water will also play a large role. The default cube map for ocean is low rez so that it can be used over vast areas, you can make it be whatever you'd like.

Hedron

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Hedron Online
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 12, 10:09:52 PM »

I've tried playing with opacity.  On the ocean setting it has no affect at all.  Changing the diffuse color only changes the color of the wave ripples.  There is no cube map and when I try to use a cube map it only shows rainbow flashing colors.  I can't find any file that gives the default blue color.  How can we change this default blue color on the ocean setting?  We don't want to take a major hit in performance by using plain ripple or river for our oceans
Evil Bia Games
Hedron Online
www.hedrononline.com

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 12, 07:09:37 AM »

Make your own environment map by following the instructions in the wiki for cube maps, and then in the properties window with the water selected, navigate to the new cube map you've uploaded.

Hedron

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Hedron Online
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 12, 08:39:04 PM »

[EDIT] Ok, I got the cube map created.  I created it with layers and did not merge them or flatten them or anything.  I applied the cube map and the ocean is no longer flashing.  It did apply the cube map to the ocean and it does look much better, however, it now has a base gray color.  I need my ocean to be this color:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/aksoys/aksoys0808/aksoys080800239/3473211-beautiful-ocean-view-from-tropical-island-in-maldives.jpg

or something close to that.

I tried changing the shade of my cube map to bright blue/green and it still has the gray tone to it.

Do we need to create our own custom shader to do this?

[FINISH EDIT]

I've been trying to create the cube map according to the wiki.  I've followed it perfectly but whenever I try to save the dds it tells me "Need six images side by side and width equal height."  Not sure why.  I am using 6 images 256x256.  I tried creating a new image 1536x256 and copy pasting each square into it as new layers (tried as a single layer as well) then flattening them, as the wiki said.  Selected save as, selected .dds format.  Nvidia plugin window opens.  I select DXT1 RGB No Alpha.  I select Cube Map, I select no MIP maps.  And no matter what I do I get the same error.  I'm new to photoshop.  I'm used to using paintshop pro.  What am I doing wrong?  I'm using Photoshop CS6.  Do I need an older version?  Nvidia plugin 8.52.  Do I need an older version of that?
« Last Edit: May 12, 12, 02:42:24 PM by Hedron »
Evil Bia Games
Hedron Online
www.hedrononline.com

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 12, 10:12:24 AM »

The simple answer is that the side color of the light, plus the texture for the ocean waves, plus the shader for the water, plus the diffuse color of the water, plus the opacity of the water, plus the cube map and its color (if the water color alpha is set below 1), all combine for the outcome of the over all color of ocean water. Which is very low impact, and designed to cover a large area.

More than likely what you're seeing is the side or ambient light, combined with the standard ocean shader creating a dark section when looking into the side light. Which isn't ideal for "semi idealized" tropical water. Our implementation is very realistic, and looks great with great cube maps and color and lighting choices. But if you don't have a working cube map in place, many strange things will happen, and the default cubemap is very dark and very blue. You can of course also customize the shaders associated with the water to make it do different things, but we don't recommend it to teams without knowledgeable graphics engineers.

Here I whipped up a little cliff side island scene, used the default example HeroEngine Logo Cubemap, it's just 6 colored boxes in the center of white backgrounds, attached it to the water, and then took some screenshots looking into the light, and some looking into the side light. The things I do for cloud developers. :-)

Reniezs

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Lusorion Creatives
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 12, 12:58:44 AM »

HE-Cooper, thanx for this great screens :) thats verry cool and buetifull watter :-)
Developer studio Lusorion Creatives - http://lusorion.com
CS / SK Hero Engine Community - http://heroengine.cz