HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Development/Live Versions?  (Read 3107 times)

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Development/Live Versions?
« on: Dec 05, 11, 08:53:42 PM »

Well I'm happy to announce that TalosSoft has finally gotten into the HE!

Now, as I'm one of those long term planners/thinkers, I do have a quick question that is completely possible I've overlooked.

After we get live, how will we be controlling what's live and what's the development copy? I.E. Players are playing on 1.0 and we are currently developing 1.1 (or even say 1.0.1 for a quick bug fix). However, obviously, we don't want our work in progress to be posted, especially if we're doing some balancing or working on new content. How does this work? And then how does the push to get 1.1 (or whatever) on the live work?
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 12, 08:49:19 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Development/Live Versions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 11, 01:50:56 AM »

You have a development server and a production server, and you push updates from the development server to the production server.

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 11, 08:05:09 AM »

Thanks Cooper! That answers that question lol. That's probably somewhere that I've overlooked too huh?

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 11, 08:44:58 AM »

I missed that information as well. Thanks for asking it.

Btw, is there a player client for development server or only for production server? Cause if we are going to implement a big change, I'd like to be able to test it with some players before I'd let it go to production server. And can I push partial updates only? (Like just a quick hotfix to a recently discovered issue?

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 11, 10:43:18 AM »

I missed that information as well. Thanks for asking it.

Btw, is there a player client for development server or only for production server? Cause if we are going to implement a big change, I'd like to be able to test it with some players before I'd let it go to production server. And can I push partial updates only? (Like just a quick hotfix to a recently discovered issue?

Ahh a good question. I was just coming back to ask this!

It would be nice if there is a game client as well for development. Especially because you can test out and implement new things in the launcher and what not. And I agree, it would be nice to maybe have a test server where certain players that have applied and been accepted can come in and test new things.

The first thing that comes to mind here for me is Beta Testers for expansions. We're going to be doing a closed Beta then an Open Beta for our release (at least according to my GDD I've made ;) ). It would be kind of nice to offer this for the expansion, at least a closed Beta.

And as far as I can tell, the easiest way to do this would be to have it done on the Development Server, tested out, then open up something for testers.

I guess this brings me to another question/situation.

Say I'm working on new content, but someone reports a bug, how does one go about pushing a hotfix out to the production server while not pushing out the newly developed content that isn't scheduled for release yet?

I guess a better question here for Cooper is, is there a doc set up yet that you can direct us to that covers these and more? I'm sure as time goes on I'll have zillions of questions that aren't necessarily tech support related things but just general overall questions about how the Cloud works.

Edit: I just realized there is a topic based on my OP that is stickied...guess though shall not post at like 1am...
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 11, 01:16:39 PM by RandyE »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 11, 01:38:33 PM »

I assure you it's all very standard.

Development server > test server > live server

Changes can be pushed up the chain, or hotfixed directly to any world. Player clients are available for projects in beta on the test and production servers.

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 11, 08:19:01 AM »

I assure you it's all very standard.

Development server > test server > live server

Changes can be pushed up the chain, or hotfixed directly to any world. Player clients are available for projects in beta on the test and production servers.

Judging by your LinkedIn profile I guess you'll have an idea of what standard is so... :p

But thanks for getting back to me.