HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Please tell me what you guys think!  (Read 1555 times)

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Please tell me what you guys think!
« on: Dec 05, 11, 11:09:05 AM »

What do you guys think about my idea?

My Idea is to have a completely PvP based MMO. No Mobs or AI of any kind at Launch. Players would create all cities and Plant all trees and everything basically they would create the world. I want to get the basic Features (Player Stats, Crafting, City Building, Factions, Resource Gathering, Combat) in place ASAP and then get people into the game ASAP. Once players are in the game then I would start listening to what they would like to see in the game and start adding those features.

Currently I am the only Programmer on the team and we are very limited in areas such as 3D Modelers and others... Do you guys think this would work or are we setting our selves up for trouble?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 11, 11:11:13 AM by James_Proctor »

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
Re: Please tell me what you guys think!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 11, 11:21:39 AM »

so its a sandbox game?     It has advantages and more disadvantages. 

Pros
Creates fun gameplay

Cons
players in first will take the closest/best spots.
Players will be upset if they keep getting killed.
Can get boring fast

Also, this sounds alot like Wurm Online. its good, but also bad.  I think its a solo project though and I give him congratz on what he has done so far. 
http://www.wurmonline.com/

Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 11, 11:30:34 AM »

Thanks for the reply. There will be features in place to encourage Faction (Guild) play. There is a IsoMetric MMO that I recently tried out that is closer to what I am going for then Wurm Online. Last I knew there was really no Combat or anything in Wurm Online. The game I recently tried out was a pretty hard core game inspite of it's lack or decent graphics. And one feature of that game (Permadeath) I am still trying to decide if I want to include or not.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 11, 11:44:58 AM »

Well, sounds interesting, but ... what is goal of the game? What should player strive for? Can cities be built by a single person or will they be built by a group? Also, it would be good for those cities to have some kind of defense systems in place - maybe NPC guards or something similar, because it wouldn't make players happy if they log out and their city is pretty much gonne after they log back in the other day...

What are the factions going to be about? Are there any preset factions players will be able to choose upon logging into the world or will they be player-created, something like guilds or so. So the game could be a battle between guilds then?

How is the pvp system gonna work? How will you reward pvp?

There's a lot of stuff you need to figure out first :) Just try to do some brainstorming with your team and try to narrow it down. Try to figure out how your world can work. The idea of player-created world is nice, but it the idea itself is very abstract.

from my point of view..

Pros
- players can turn out very creative
- probably dynamic and ever changing world
- probably large scale faction encounters
- will probably encourage tactical and strategical thinking

Cons
- nothing to do besides fighting other players or gathering resources in between fights (might get boring)
- players might be annoyed by constant dying
- some factions might get too powerful so the game might turn out unplayable for weaker factions
- players may need to dedicate too much time to the game to be able to rival others

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 11, 12:09:23 PM »

Factions are player created Guilds.

Players not belonging to a Faction will be able to Purchas Resource Gathering Permits and Outpost Permits.

A Resource Gathering Permit allows the owner to setup a Mine, Logging camp, or Fishery.

A Outpost Permit allows the owner to setup a outpost containing Fewer then 5 Buildings.

Factions will be able to Create Villages, Towns, Cities, and Capitals.

A Faction can only have a single Capital but can have as many of the others as they want. The more areas you have though the more resources you will need and the more land you will have to Defend.

Crafting Buildings setup in a Capital will be capable of Crafting the highest level items in the game. Research Buildings setup in a Capital will be able to Research the highest level items in the game.

Exploring will be a big part of the game. Factions will want to Explore the land (New land will be added each week) in order to find new areas to build and to gather resources. Resource areas will dry up and will need time to restock so new areas will need to be discovered. Also the current Season will affect what resources are available in a giving area!

Central_Plaza

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 11, 10:41:39 PM »

Hey man, I've been thrwoing an idea similar to this one around for a while now. The ability to have a player ran community with different factions such as Criminals, Law Enforcement, Doctors, Engineers, and Government players such as the Town Official or President.

The game would be set in modern time but not a sandbox, instead it would have large areas to explore as well as a teleporter zone that allows the player to go to another map. I have  ton of details on how this would work, here is a message I've been sending around seeing if people like the idea and want to help:

(I know there are tons of typos, try to ignore them I was pushed on time while typing this)

"I'm trying to gather a team for a game I've been eager to work on for years now. My game is set in modern time and players have the option to join different Factions. Every player would start off as a Civillian, no weapons or anything. They will have the ability to transport to different locations, for instance there might be a bus station, parked taxi cab, or another transport vehicle that the player would talk to, this would basicly be the teleport zome to go to different locations. Since you are a civillian, you have no rights to carry a weapon or aid others in combat or medical assistance. To join another Faction you must teleport to that location in-game and go to an NCP that would offer you a job, if you accept then you would be a trainee, and real players would train you in whatever the Factions' job requires.

There would be no Leveling up in the game, everyone has an equal opportunity and the only thing that seperates users in the same factions are their rank. The Factions and their purpose would be cruical to  keep the game spinning in one giant circle, here are the Factions and the details about them:

Criminal: Criminals would be the ones that create drugs, these drugs are more like boosters, which would aid the user in combat either in speed, durability or power. These are the guys who illegaly carry weaponsand drugs to bully their way around the world in order to make money and profit. There would be different ranks as a criminal, you could be any of the following:

Thug (Rank 1- Ability to join a Group aka Gang)
Criminal (Rank 2- Ability to access certain areas that only Official Crimials can enter, ie. Gang Hideout)
Gangster (Rank 3- Ability to buy, sell or create drugs aka boosters)
Wanted (Rank 4- At Rank 4 you have the ability to create your own gang which you can invite other criminals to)
Every Rank above Rank 2 are not meant to be easy to get to, you must be promoted by a Higher Rank after you have achieved atleast "x" ammount of skill points.

Law Enforcement: A Police officers job is to keep the streets clean of bad guys, much like real life. As a Police officer you have the ability to search Criinals for illegal drugs or weapons, if they are carrying any of those then you can arrest them. Here is some basic information about the ranks and how this would work:

Beat Cop: (Rank 1- Ability to carry a non lethal weapon, ie. Baton or Tazer. A Baton, if struck a criminal, would cause dizzyness and imobility of the person being hit, this allows time for another officer to come in and make an arrest. A Stun gun would have the same effect but at a slightly farther range)
Officer: (Rank 2- At Rank 2 you now have the ability to make arrests or use lethal weapons, after stunning a criminal, you can then arrest them and they will transport to a prison where they will have to do time. The time spent in jail is based on how large the crime is, if you strike a cop then you will spend about 2-3 real life minutes in jail if caught. If you murder someone that is about 15-20 real life minutes.)
Security: (Rank 3- At this rank ,you now have permission to carry a lethal weapon and use it when nessesary. You will also be required to do more combat, such as raiding gang hideouts as per requested by the departments commanding officer.)
Lieutenant: (Rank 4- The Ability to create your own Department. As a Rank 4 you now have the ability to promote any other member of your departments as long as they have "x" amount of skill points and if you feel they are ready.)

Doctor: A doctors' job in the game would be to aid medical treatment to any players who need assistance. There will be no health packs in the game open to other Factions, only Doctors can give medical treatment to those in need. If you happen to die then you will respawn in a hospital, the only way to get out of the hospital is to have a real Player who is a Doctor aid you, you can communicate to any user in the room or call for help. In case there are no doctors online to heal you, then you can choose to spend in-game currency on psycological aid, which will give you a portion of your life back.

Nurse: (Rank 1- Ability to heal players who are still alive, healing process would be slow.)
Doctor: (Rank 2- Ability to Revive fallen players, once revived they can start the slow healing process.)
Surgen: (Rank 3- You now have the ability to Revive players, heal 100% faster and carry a lethal weapon.)
Medic: (Rank 4- At this Rank, you now have the ability to create your own Medical Team, you also have the ability to promote players of your team who have atleast "x" amount of skill points.)

Engineer: In this faction you have the ability to create various items, such as weapons, clothes and armour. This would be the most profitable faction for those looking to make a little extra cash.

Techie: (Rank 1- Ability to create clothes for other players to buy with in-game currency)
Scavenger: (Rank 2- Ability to create weapons such as knifes or non lethal weapons, ie. stun guns, batons, ect..)
Gunslinger: (Rank 3- Ability to create lethal weapons and assign players permits to carry a weapon.)
Engineer: (Rank 4- At this Rank you now have permission to create your own Team, you also have the ability to promote other members of your team who have atleast "x" amount of skill points.)

Government: This Orginization is invite only, you must be invited by the Staff Team or voted in by the community. There are various sections of this orginazition however there are no ranks.

President: Only one member can be in this group and they have to be elected in by a community campaign. If this game is created then a Staff member will lead the role as President until a User is officially voted in and had learned and understood all of the duties.
Owner: All of the locations in the game will have a Town Official. An owner of a City or Town will have the ability to pass laws such as the ability to decide if the player needs to have a gun permit to carry a gun around, the ability to list certain players on the wanted list for that Town/City or the ability to pass certain drug type laws, such as allow drugs that make you move faster, take more damage or deal more damage.
Judge: If a player breaks the law and it is severe enough then there will be a Jurry to decide if that person should either spend time in jail (up to 20 minutes max RL time). The only people allowed are the Rank 3+ of the Defendants Faction, and the Ranks 3+ of the Victims Faction.

Any user in the game can carry a gun as long as they purchase a Permit from a Gunslinger or Engineer. If there is noone on to issue a permit to you then there will be an in-game option to purchase a permit that will cost a signifficant amount more then it would be getting it from one of the Rank 3+ Gun Makers.

There is a ton more to be added and changed about this game, but I was hoping to make a community that players could run. I would like for the Development Team and Game Masters to keep the Community running and offer support when needed, also to keep it going in the right direction, I would like for players to run how the game works by giving high rank players the ability to run for elections, pass laws or if you are the criminal type, create a hit list or accept contracts to kill another player.

I understand that this game has a ton of work that needs to be done, I havnt even started on the game, this is just what I would personally like to see in a game."

So with that said, if you're looking for a game similar to this, maybe we can team up?

Central_Plaza

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 11, 10:46:08 PM »

Thanks for the reply. There will be features in place to encourage Faction (Guild) play. There is a IsoMetric MMO that I recently tried out that is closer to what I am going for then Wurm Online. Last I knew there was really no Combat or anything in Wurm Online. The game I recently tried out was a pretty hard core game inspite of it's lack or decent graphics. And one feature of that game (Permadeath) I am still trying to decide if I want to include or not.

Lol @ Face of Mankind

I want a game similar to that as well.. this is exactly what I'm looking for, someone who likes the same concept as a certain game. The only thing I hate about FoM is that the GM's are bully's, if you are in Brotherhood or something, sometimes they may spawn creatures to attack you and kill you.

hit me up if you want to start the project, I can model.

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 11, 06:46:23 AM »

I personally like PvP oriented games however I am not as much for Pure sandbox games as I feel rules and controls need to be in place to maintain integrity.