HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Materials for one model mixed with another.  (Read 1409 times)

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Materials for one model mixed with another.
« on: Dec 06, 11, 08:51:53 PM »

How can I solve an issue like that of the title. Here is the situation, I made a model for a barbarian kind of village, and then I made a nice library to go in the village as well. They are in two different folders, under one main folder, which is named after the zone. So, the textures / materials are getting mixed together, the library is using the materials used for the barbarian house, how can I solve this?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 02:51:31 PM by HE-Cooper »

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Materials for one model mixed with another.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 11, 09:04:32 PM »

Are the materials named something different?  Not just different folder, but entirely different names as well?

Maybe toss down what process you're doing.  Picking materials and such in 3ds/maya or using the terrain pain texture, or both....etc.

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 11, 09:26:03 PM »

They are named quite similarly. I do not organize the model into one texture. So I have a few names per model. For the base part I usually have main_d then maybe supports_d then roof_d. Stuff like that, what could I do to make it so I can still do that and not have this issue?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 11, 12:20:24 AM »

They are named quite similarly. I do not organize the model into one texture. So I have a few names per model. For the base part I usually have main_d then maybe supports_d then roof_d. Stuff like that, what could I do to make it so I can still do that and not have this issue?

All the texture names should be totally unique. I also posted something a long time ago explaining this as well. There may be no spaces in the texture names, and ALL texture names must be unique HE materials.

Believe me, it wasn't fun to fix. If objects share the same SINGLE material, then the name doesn't have to be unique (I think, not tested yet.. -> Cooper?)

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 11, 06:43:57 AM »

I know a nice way to fix that. Just simply put the name of the model first. So since this is a library in a barbarian village, maybe name them with this first. BLibrary"NameOfTextureAnyways"_d.dds   Its an extra step but one I will gladly take if I must.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 11, 09:15:56 AM »

Materials that are named the same, must have identical usage in the engine. Otherwise terrible things would happen. So yes, keep unique names for everything.

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 11, 07:01:00 PM »

Okay, so I started using the name then the name you would originally use. Still, the materials merged with the one it shouldn't, and it said the materials on the other meshes weren't hero materials, and I can assure you they were. So, what can I do to fix this, or should I just restart with the models, I don't have much, I am trying to get planning done, just finished that for the most part, so I want to get this solved. Thanks in advance :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 11, 07:11:03 AM »

I guarantee in max you have not opened up the conflicting models, given them unique material names and reexported. Try that, it will fix it.

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 11, 08:20:26 AM »

Well, I got rid of the old models anyways, their was like 4 and they were made when I had thought this was all about pirates. I should rename in max, or just name the pictures differently?

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 11, 09:34:46 AM »

Well, I got rid of the old models anyways, their was like 4 and they were made when I had thought this was all about pirates. I should rename in max, or just name the pictures differently?

You have to rename them (with entirely different names) within max before exporting.

Battlelegion

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 11, 10:33:21 AM »

Oh, well that should help :)