HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Cubemaps and Reflective Surfaces  (Read 706 times)

Crescent

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Cubemaps and Reflective Surfaces
« on: Dec 09, 11, 03:41:20 AM »

Hi all,

Me and my team have been working with hero engine for a few months now and we are enjoying every moment of it! I have been researching CubeMaps and their function within Hero Engine and have read up from various sources as well as the wiki and its page on CubeMaps.

I understand the concept of cubemaps and their function, and how they are authored. I don't quite understand however, how they directly reflect into heroengine and the world. For instance the herocubemap that comes with the engine is simply the heroblade logo, coloured differently on each side of the cube and when applied to water it gives a bland effect. Could anyone give me help me understand how cubemaps relate to the game world, especially in relation to water?

Thanks for any help,

Louis
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:45:52 PM by HE-Cooper »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Cubemaps and Reflective Surfaces
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 11, 09:29:01 AM »

The cubemap that is used in hero by default is a house surrounded by forest. If you go into the environment panel and scroll to the bottom you will see the map and its path. That is where you put your environmental cube maps. For water blocks, you select a separate cubemap, this one is strictly for water, located in water properties, id suggest using the same "house forest" map for water temporarily, looks much better than the HE logo. The 3rd way to use cubemaps is to select "reflectivity" on the hero material shader in Max our Maya. Once imported into the engine, that shader will reflect the environmental cubemap from the environment panel.