HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Trouble installing on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Read 3157 times)

Jaehiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hi all,

One of my team members has been trying to install HeroBlade and the Repository Browser, but it just simply is not working.  He suspects it has something to do with the fact that he is running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Here is the situation... Thanks for your time.

He first installs the HeroEngine Launcher and that zips by really fast and installs, as is to be expected.

When he attempts to install HB or RB, the Run dialog box opens up showing that the .HEAL filetype is properly associated with the HE Auto Launcher, but when he tries to continue, it does not execute properly... nothing happens.  It is almost as if the Launcher is not properly installed, even though it is there and the file association is confirmed.

So here are some things he has already tried:

* verified that the HE Launcher files are in the appropriate spot in his program files, and that the .HEAL file type is associated correctly.

* uninstalled/reinstalled the launcher under as many different combinations as he could think of, including: firewall turned off, anti-virus off, installed using a compatibility layer for Vista and also for Windows XP SP2.  These all result in the same thing, the files wind up in Program Files\HE Auto Launcher and the .HEAL filetype is associated correctly with it... but when HB/RB is attempted to be installed, the launcher does not execute properly.

* verified that he has the latest .NET (version 4) installed.

* he is running on an Administrator account *AND* UAC is turned off.

Has anyone had a similar experience and hopefully found a solution?

Thanks again for your time/ideas!
Jaehiko
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 08:54:03 AM by HE-Cooper »

JMurdick

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble installing on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 11, 06:32:15 AM »

I haven't encountered that, but I did want to say that I am running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 11, 06:39:54 AM »

I'm running win 7 ulti 64-bit and no problems either

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 11, 07:00:20 AM »

If there is one OS that is very unlikely to have problems, it is that one ;)

Usual problems in these circumstances ...

* What web browser?  Use Internet Explorer if not using it

* It could be a wedged install from some other installation

* ISP is terminating the connection

* .NET framework is "installed" but is corrupt and needs to be repaired

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

Reekuo

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 11, 07:04:31 AM »

Have you tried dragging the .heal file onto the launcher if i remember correctly its kinda a shortcut to open a file with a program

Jaehiko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 11, 11:50:45 AM »

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions.  I passed the info along to the developer on my team that was having trouble.

Although ultimately embarrassing (for him!), I figured I would still respond so this doesn't become one of the many seemingly unresolved threads that live on the Internet.  Hopefully it helps someone else some day!

After painstakingly uninstalling/reinstalling .NET, re-trying everything he already tried, attempting to perform all of the ideas you posted, he found out the reason why it wasn't working and has now successfully been able to install everything.

The problem was simply because of a program he uses called PeerBlock that downloads lists of IP addresses to block that have been flagged as suspicious, for a variety of reasons.  I don't know why but it was thinking that the method in which it was connecting to install HB/RB was suspicious and therefore was blocking it, without giving any kind of message.

The lesson here is... when someone says "disable your firewall" they mean hardware/software firewalls and also any programs that you may have installed that act like firewalls.  This developer is pretty tech savvy and I assure you he will be teased about neglecting to realize this for many years to come.

Again, thanks for your efforts all!