HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flashing Textures, or Models not showing up in game  (Read 5285 times)

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Flashing Textures, or Models not showing up in game
« on: Dec 09, 11, 11:47:06 PM »

hello,
so im trying to put a rock into heroengine (first asset to be put in by me btw). Im having a problem getting the textures to show up properly. the rocks is always flashing green pink and blue. what i did: game the rock a hero material texture, exported the rock into .hgm and exported the texture in .dds format. rock is called mossrock1.dds and the texture is called mossyrock_highres.dds. i put them on a both on my virtual A drive, A:\HE\Rocks. i then made a folder in my repository in the main HE folder called Rocks. The i put both the .hgm and .dds files into the folder. then i went into heroengine and put the .hgm file into my library. then i clicked add at camera and the model shows up, but with the blinking texture!!!! what do i do?
« Last Edit: May 25, 12, 02:31:47 PM by HE-Cooper »

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: flashing textures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 11, 02:28:21 AM »

I would advise you to open your console window, and see if there are any errors showing. This is probably a texture not found issue. Did you apply the material from your HE\Rocks directory, or did you apply the texture, and then later just copied it to the HE\Rocks directory ?

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 11, 09:31:29 AM »

likely same as your other recent problem, you forgot the _d at the end

mossyrock_highres_d.dds
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 11, 09:42:01 AM by Chromehound »

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 11, 11:58:30 AM »

@AuctualFantasy: 0 errors showing, just: 09:54:04: CreationObject mossrock1.hgm seems to be done. there were errors before i went back into 3dsmax and applied mossyrock_highres_d.dds but the green flashy texture is still there. And i didnt apply the texture in the repository, i just put the texture and the model into the repository, however they are in the same folder. so how would i go about applying the texture in the repository?
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 11, 12:01:13 PM by awsomeperson51298 »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 11, 12:27:18 PM »

Most likely, you are exporting it correctly and incorrectly at the same time. In addition, I would like to add that "go about applying the texture in the repository" doesn't make sense in any way.

Try it with these steps:
1. Save the .max file and the .dds file in the folder to which the exported model should go. (e.g. C:/HE/staticassets/bridges/)
2. Open 3DS MAX and open the .max file inside the folder (e.g C:/HE/staticassets/bridges/bridge01.max)
3. Create a HeroMaterial with the .dds file in the "bridges" folder (location : C:/HE/staticassets/bridges/bridge01.dds)
4. Export the model to: C:/HE/staticassets/bridges/ and call it for example bridge01

Safety check: C:/HE/staticassets/bridges/ should contain now 3 files before uploading from your pc to the repo:
1. bridge01.max
2. bridge01.dds
3. bridge01.hgm (the exported model)

Open the repository browser, and I assume you set it up correctly:
1. Login, etc.
2. Drag the "bridges" folder to the "staticassets" folder in the repository
3. Wait a couple of miliseconds, depending on your upload-speed.

Final check in the repository:
In the repository folder HE/staticassets/bridges the following files should now show:
1. bridge01.max
2. bridge01.dds
3. bridge01.hgm (the exported model)
4. bridge01_exact_mesh.nxl (or something...)
5. bridge01.phys (the physics file)

If that isn't the case, go back to the beginning of this post, and repeat the steps again.

Finally, open up HeroBlade:
1. Login, etc.
2. Click the button "Library"
3. Right click somewhere where you wish to add the "bridge01" model and click "Add item" or something similar.
4. in the new screen, go to: HE -> staticassets -> bridge01 -> and click on "Bridge01.hgm".

Your item has now been added to your game succefully and all members can acces it now in that library once you save it.

On request, I can make a very detailed tutorial on how to do it step by step.

Lastly: Why did it go wrong in the first place?
Answer: Upon exporting, relative paths are stored in the .hgm file, meaning that if you would place the texture somewhere else after exporting and putting it in the engine, there will be an error. The relative path starts from "HE" onwards from your local machine, which is also the reason why the paths on your machine should be the same as on the cloud, and the main folder should be called "HE".

Hope this helped.

ActualFantasy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 11, 12:29:18 PM »

What i do is the following.

I copy the texture to the HE\somemodel folder on my local repository.

Then i apply the texture in 3ds max, from that directory. (make sure its a heromaterial)

Then i export the model to the somemodel folder on my local repository, and copy them using the repository browser to the same folder on the server side HE\somemodel folder.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 11, 01:04:58 PM »

@dwight.gijzen:
thanks!!! problem solved!!!!

Arcaniis

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 12, 07:31:53 PM »

I am having the same issue as OP now :/

Following the steps given by dwight.gijzen, everything goes as should (or so im thinking) with the exception that once I drag the files over into the corresponding folder within the repository browser, there are no mesh.nxl and .phys files made. Not immediately anyways. Those files only seem to be created AFTER I have attempted to load the asset into the engine and received a flashing texture in return. Any idea why the mesh.nxl and .phys files are not being created upon drag and drop of the files from computer to repository? Could that be the issue as to why I am still getting flashing textures? I have been working on figuring this out now for 2 days and am getting to the "wanting to pull your hair out." stage :(

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 12, 10:21:23 PM »

Those files are generated by the engine once they exist in the world. They are physics files and you never need to worry about them. If you have a flashing texture on an asset it means the engine can't find your texture. Which means you have not uploaded the texture file to the repository, or it's not the correct format, or the path you used locally is not the same as the directory you uploaded it to on the server.

Open your console window, it will tell you the error and tell you where it's expecting to find the texture.

Arcaniis

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 12, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks. Could have sworn I had the files in the right place ( and I did.... sort of). Ended up just redoing my entire file structure both both locally and in the repository and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the assistance.

Illuminati

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Flashing Textures, or Models not showing up in game
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 12, 06:41:08 PM »

I did everything like this and I get this error.

19:40:58: CreationObject small_granite_rock.hgm seems to be done
19:40:58: !ERROR!System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /c:/localrepository/prop_3d_assets/jason_props/small_granite_rock.dds

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 12, 06:56:23 PM »

That's because you exported your model and mapped it to the path that shows there in the error. So your model is looking for its texture there, which it obviously isn't. You need to setup and map your art depot so that file paths match on your local machine and on the server.

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Shadow Empire Gameworks Community Site
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 12, 07:23:55 AM »

I did everything like this and I get this error.

19:40:58: CreationObject small_granite_rock.hgm seems to be done
19:40:58: !ERROR!System:ERROR: Not found (0xFACE000F) loading resource: /c:/localrepository/prop_3d_assets/jason_props/small_granite_rock.dds

Hey Illu, this is a prob most new to HE have but is simple to fix..

1) Your Repository folder on your Hard Drive must be set up EXACTLY the same as the one in your HE Repository Browser (all file names matching and in the same folders)

example: SS example attached (everything from the point of HE is identical)

2) when you create an asset make sure that the textures for the model are placed into the Rep folder on your comp and that you add your model textures from that folder to the HE Material editor (if you dont add the files FROM the Rep folder they will error even if you copy paste the textures there later.. the export remembers the file path that the Mats came from)

3) when you add your Mats to the HE Mat editor Name the materials something that is specific to that model (any duplicte names give you flashing textures and errors)

Hope that this helps :) Dx

Illuminati

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 12, 08:27:08 AM »

Thanks Dee, I finally got it. Is there a way to put bumps on a hero material? I clicked the seconf box and try to add a normal bump and it gave me an error.

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Shadow Empire Gameworks Community Site
« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 12, 09:41:39 AM »

Hey Illu, glad to hear you got it :)

Yeah.. bumps i.e. normals are added in the second slot. They have to be .dds like your Dif Map. If you are adding the Normal as a .dds and still getting errors i have no clue as i have never had that issue occur.

repost if you are exporting .dds normals correctly and still getting the error from HE Mats as someone here will be able to help. Also add SS to give ppl a clearer idea of the issue for a faster fix :)

TC Dx
Pages: [1] 2