HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Object Relational Design Tools  (Read 2680 times)

Azzerhoden

• General Accounts
  • Midnight General
    • View Profile
Object Relational Design Tools
« on: Dec 10, 11, 04:53:51 PM »

Question for the general community.  What (if any) object relational tools do you use?  Not to place an age on myself, but I instinctively start reaching for 3x5 index cards, and I'd rather use something, you know, a little more modern.   ;)

All I really want to do is create a polygon on a screen, assign it some attributes, and be able to create some type of relationship between it and other polygons.  Just to help organize my thinking.  Most of what I have seen available from the web adds more complexity than what I really want since any objects I create will be in Hero Engine.

RandyE

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Object Relational Design Tools
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 11, 06:38:52 PM »

Hmmm, is this like a flowchart kind of thing? When I start putting my ideas to paper, I literally put them to paper. I have sheets and sheets of paper with flowchart like sketches on them strewn about my room...so much so that now I'm beginning to loose track. I'd love to hear what other kinds of things are used by people. Preferably a software of some sort that is, well, preferably free as there isn't any room in my budget for this right now.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 11, 06:43:21 PM »

have you tried mindmaps?
I used this one http://www.mindnode.com/ ... but there are many other alternatives just google "mindmap" or "mind mapping" ;)

but to be honest, nothing beats a pen/pencil and a paper ... that's what works best for me

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 11, 11:30:50 PM »

I have used Bubbl.us in the past for mind-mapping.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Azzerhoden

• General Accounts
  • Midnight General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 11, 11:58:52 PM »

I have looked at Mindmap before, and on the plus side it works on a PC, iPhone/iPad, but I was looking for something that would allow me to add various object attributes, so that as the design process goes forward it is easier to see where there is some commonality between objects.

I liked that bubbl.us site, but it doesn't appear to allow for details to be hidden until I want to see them.  It comes pretty close to what I was looking for though.

At the other end of the spectrum are a lot of apps (like ArgoUML) but that is much more than what I am looking for.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 11, 12:00:46 AM by Azzerhoden »

Azzerhoden

• General Accounts
  • Midnight General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 11, 12:20:43 AM »

Hmmm, is this like a flowchart kind of thing? When I start putting my ideas to paper, I literally put them to paper. I have sheets and sheets of paper with flowchart like sketches on them strewn about my room...so much so that now I'm beginning to loose track. I'd love to hear what other kinds of things are used by people. Preferably a software of some sort that is, well, preferably free as there isn't any room in my budget for this right now.

I had forgotten the term until I found a wikipedia article that describes the concept I am hoping for in a free software package:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 11, 03:29:02 AM »

So just use UML, you don't have to use everything that it offers, just use the minimum you need. Or if you have some programing knowledge you can code it yourself (those CRC cards don't seem to be very difficult to code ... at least from the pictures of them I've seen).

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 11, 07:11:36 AM »

UML probably allows the right level of detail when it comes time to plan out the asynchronous design model necessary in scalable games.

Azzerhoden

• General Accounts
  • Midnight General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 11, 09:59:19 AM »

UML probably allows the right level of detail when it comes time to plan out the asynchronous design model necessary in scalable games.

I think I agree with you after playing around with ArgoUML.  Just ran through a class diagramming tutorial.  Now I'm thinking of going back and mapping HJ to use as a reference point.   ;D

---- Update
ArgoUML turns out to be exactly what I was looking for.   It is free to download at
http://argouml.tigris.org/
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 11, 02:05:38 PM by Azzerhoden »

Atticus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • 610 Labs
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 11, 02:10:20 PM »

Check out this free product (or $5 a month if you want to let your whole team share it).

http://www.celtx.com/

We use it for our design document and to keep track of misc documents.
Atticus