HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] 3DS Max Rollout Export Error: Type Error: Call needs function  (Read 19295 times)

bashBETA

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Galaxy Forge Games

Hey all,

I am new to using hero engine and I'm trying to get my art pipeline set-up. I've gone through all the tutorials on setting up the art pipeline, and I'w now trying to export my model out of 3DS Max 2012. I'm using the Max2012.0 script folder from the Art Pipeline > MaxScript folder.

In 3DS Max -

Whenever I select 'HeroEngine Export' under Utilities > MaxScript in 3DS Max

AND/OR

Using the static assets export > export selected

I get this this error pop-up window:

MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception (window label)

--Type Error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined

And it open up the script: "grannyu.ms"

I saw a bunch of other post that had a similar problem, but none of them seemed to be solved completely, so sorry if I've overlooked something. And thank you for any help with this issue!!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:57:30 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile

Most likely you've either placed a script in the wrong folder, or misnamed a script, or typoed a script entry.
Have you retraced your steps through the setup to make sure each one was followed and didn't error at any time?

Also, make sure you have the latest art package downloaded, there have been updates recently. But so far the only errors we've seen people have are all setup errors. Either settings from other projects, or adding a file extension when you have file extensions hidden in windows, etc.

bashBETA

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Galaxy Forge Games

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I believed I followed everything correctly - my Art Pipeline install folder is in my C drive, within a folder titled 'Art'

I'm using the 2012.0 Max Script folder - is there a later version for this?

It seems to be something with that specific script, but if it helps to clarify the issue, I continually get a warning right before the error pops-up, when clicking the "Export Selected" button:

"Scale Transforms are not reset to 100%"

If I go to the utility that fixes this issue, it entirely distorts the bottom part of my model.This seems to be a separate issue tho, but if there's a connection maybe it will help.

Could it be an issue with the "grannyu.ms" script specifically?

The code in red below is what is highlighted when I get the error and it opens the script:

Code: [Select]
fn TurnLoggingOn SourceFile =
(
 [color=red]   GrannyStartLogging SourceFile[/color]
)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorials correctly, but there's always a chance I missed something so I will watch again, but in the meantime, maybe this helps clarify the issue.

Thanks!!

bashBETA

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Galaxy Forge Games

Sorry - I guess I'm just wondering if I need to commit to re-installation of the art pipeline or what?

The steps I took -

• Installed art pipline.
  • Mirrored RB folder structure to a subst R: directory that pointed to my HE folder in my C drive.
  • Opened 3DS Max, went thru setting up path to MaxScript 2012 (using 3ds max 2012), flipped to 3rd party tab and found 3ds max 2012x64 (using 2012 64-bit).
  • Set-up custom units.
  • Opened a model (this model was made prior to installing all this stuff, dont know if that affects it or not)
  • Swapped out old materials for Hero Materials
  • Went to utilities > MaxScript > selected HeroEngine Export - BAM, error pings.

I'm able to hit OK, but if I go to try any of the export options, the same error pops-up (see initial post for error details).

If anyone has experienced this same issue and found a fix PLEASE let me know! Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the general consensus is that I need to start over, uninstall and re-install, then so be it, I just want some sort of confirmation that this is the best route.

Thank you all!!!!

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile

R:\HE\ ?  or just R:\ ?

The former should work.  The latter can not.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile

I suspect Andy has identified your issue.

But if for some reason that isn't the cause, take out as many variables as possible. Just make a new simple cube, with a simple texture and see if you get the same error, instead of using a previously created model.

bashBETA

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Galaxy Forge Games

Hey all,

So it looks like the only real problem I was having was being...careless...for lack of ...many... better words.

In my 3rd party plug-ins, I mistakenly had the Maya 2012x64 folder selected and NOT the 3DS Max one. Whoops! Just switched it over, restarted Max and what-do-ya-know - it worked!

Anyhow, my cube imported correctly into the HeroEngine, textures intact.

One question tho, I'm noticing an odd overlap on my textures, which I can clearly see is the UV map texture of the model that Cooper told me NOT to use. Well, I went with a simple Box and simple mats, but I didn't remove any of the old textures or model from the folder I saved my Export in. Could this be why there is overlap?

My path: R:\HE\Assets\Models

Contents include both Max files, the .HGM export file, 2 .DDS diffuse files (one for the old model, one for the test cube), 2 .DDS normal maps (one for old, one for cube) - perhaps this is why?

my only other thought is that I did NOT reset my scene when I made the cube, and simply re-pathed the texture into the Hero material slots (which still contained the texture from my other model).

I'm assuming it's the second issue, not that either one is difficult to fix, but knowing what the problem is always helps!

Also - in my folder structure, for organizational purposes, if I had a folder for EACH AND EVERY model containing the .DDS texture files AND the exported .HGM file, will that be ok? Just as long as the textures are with their respective exported mesh, correct?

Also, also - I've read in other threads that naming conventions are extremely important. Since my model imported correctly, I'm assuming my names are fine:

test_mat_01_export.hgm
test_mat_01_diffuse.dds
test_mat_01_normal.dds

good to go?

Anyways, thanks again for all your help!!!!! I will most likely be back here asking more questions down the road!

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

test_mat_01_export.hgm
test_mat_01_diffuse.dds
test_mat_01_normal.dds

good to go?

the wiki explains the naming scheme in detail. matter of fact there's a thread about it a few post down. http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1479.0.html

Lumpus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Just got this same error for the same reason.  Once I learned to read and used the right exporter it worked fine.

Suggestion: under .../Exporter/ create 2 folders ("Maya" and "Max") and place the appropriate files in each.  Their names are too similar and choosing the wrong one is easy to screw up.