HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help to finish your game?  (Read 4174 times)

ddougher

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Need help to finish your game?
« on: Dec 13, 11, 05:06:51 PM »

Youíve got a great game idea; youíve put together a team, and started with gusto.  But now, all the details are swamping you.  There are bugs, and incomplete features, and testing, and marketing, and advertisingÖ Itís getting hard to remember the tradeoffs you made and why.  You are trying to get it all done, but the ďlittle thingsĒ are slowing progress.  You see yourself as an artist or a programmer and a game designer, not a chief cook and bottle washer.  You are in a swamp of conflicting issues and you are having trouble keeping your eyes on the big picture, not to mention keeping your team motivated!  Maybe some of your people arenít pulling their weight anymore, maybe some have left.

Iím the guy who fixes those problems.

I get the game finished.  I keep track of the schedules, the details, the next steps that mean you get done on time.  I donít make the big decisions, in fact, I donít make any decisions at all.  I just make sure you know what decisions need to be made, and when, and what the pros, cons, and consequences are.

I make sure everybody knows what their job is, what they are doing tomorrow, next week, and next month.  I make sure you know if they are having trouble getting there.

I help with all the documents - the Game Design Proposal, the Art Bible, the Audio Bible, the Q/A Test Plan, the Project Plan, the Technical Specifications, the Level Design Documents and the Marketing Plan.  I can even help with assembling the materials so you can seek outside funding.  I make sure you know when your marketing and advertising materials need to get to the game reviewers and websites.  I can help you schedule for growing your company by hiring additional people.

I can also help with things like setting up your versioning software, your build processes, and your naming conventions (You do have naming conventions for your artwork and audio donít you?)

I have hands on experience with designing games, programming, art and audio creation, testing, release, and publishing.  I know what it takes to get your game done.  I also have experience with marketing, advertising, web design, and legal issues.  I have worked with teams of all sizes - online and face to face.  I have worked with million dollar budgets and no budget at all.  And I know how to keep multiple projects going at once, so if your company is trying to get more than one thing done I can handle it.

I even teach all these things at a college level.

I donít work for free, but by working with several companies like yours, I can be reasonable.   So, if your project has gone off-track, and you want to get your game finished and out the door, then e-mail me at the address below and weíll talk.

ddougher@pariahgames.com

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to finish your game?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 11, 08:41:42 PM »

that's all someone needs when working on a project of this scale... someone bugging them ;)

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 11, 12:28:50 PM »

I would advice all teams without a proper manager who knows what he/she is doing to get someone of this caliber (somewhat under it is also fine).

Having a team just of artists and programmers with no clue how to manage teams will fail. It's as Cooper said a while back on these forums: in the Indie industry, there are more people with ideas than there are people who have the skills to make it all happen.

There aren't enough people on these forums with real management skills, so I hope that ddougher's inbox is already full with PM's.

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 11, 01:26:51 PM »

he paid you off just to say that didn't he??

Tythin4

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 11, 01:44:32 PM »

I say a manager would be good if your team was large enough to warrant one.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 11, 02:12:44 PM »

he paid you off just to say that didn't he??

I wouldn't even want to get paid for this.

I am an assistant marketing and sales director myself since I was 18, and am now leading this indie-company to make the game that I have been working on for years already. Just saying that I know how difficult is for beginners to manage even 2 people. For an MMO, you're really close to having 30+ people; you would require a lot of experience if you want to guide 30+ people.

If this person has it, he deserves the credit already.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 11, 11:07:23 PM »

A lot of cloud projects do not have a budget, most of the team are very new, wouldn't be much to manage at this point. Not many can afford to pay a project manager when they need programmers and artist to get the ball rolling. It's not really realistic to ask for money as a project manager on an indie startup that is using a free engine. I doubt any team here has 30 plus "SKILLED" people at this stage, that would require funding to get 30 plus that are actually capable of making an mmo and not a bunch of hobbyist living a dream.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 11, 11:09:52 PM by Stadi_Thompson »

RavenVerakie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 12, 12:21:26 AM »

its things like this that set me off a lil ... It maybe just me but what i see here is someone that is tring to get something for nothing ... in our situation we are a group of people that all have a contributable talent or are willing to learn one. This seems more like "hey pay me to take your ideas and timeframes and tell you weather or not you are meeting them ...oh and if your not ill tell you you are doing it wrong and then tell you to work harder "

look if you want to work on a project learn a talent and get involved with one or start your own and pay yourself to tell your developers that crap.

in this type of development  you cant do that get involved with a project , put the project ahead of you desire to make money and focus on the art if your vision is worth something then the compensation will eventually follow but dont go into this as a total sell out especialy when no one wants what your selling

live freely in the beauty of reality and that is that you have a chance to be part of something great with alot of hard work you can be part of history.

just sayin

"Live Free and Play Hard"

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 12, 01:36:40 AM »

if you want to work on a project learn a talent

That is more than a little harsh, and frankly myopic.  Management is a talent unto itself, and very qualified managers can be hard to come by.  Granted, pretty much no group here has the funding, yet, to hire people with up-front money, but the key word there is "yet".  Some are close to getting publishing deals and will be able to do so soon.

Once your group grows beyond a handful of people, effective management is crucial to keeping everyone on the same page and the project on schedule.  In fact, it is important when even dealing with only a few people.  And when buying labor, like all things, you get what you pay for, so a skilled manager/facilitator can absolutely earn their keep.

Any group wishing to go beyond being simply a bunch of hobbyists living a dream to being a bona fide, profitable company will find there are many, many positions to be filled other than programmer, artist or designer.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Failcookie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 12, 01:33:28 PM »

its things like this that set me off a lil ... It maybe just me but what i see here is someone that is tring to get something for nothing ... in our situation we are a group of people that all have a contributable talent or are willing to learn one. This seems more like "hey pay me to take your ideas and timeframes and tell you weather or not you are meeting them ...oh and if your not ill tell you you are doing it wrong and then tell you to work harder "

look if you want to work on a project learn a talent and get involved with one or start your own and pay yourself to tell your developers that crap.

in this type of development  you cant do that get involved with a project , put the project ahead of you desire to make money and focus on the art if your vision is worth something then the compensation will eventually follow but dont go into this as a total sell out especialy when no one wants what your selling

live freely in the beauty of reality and that is that you have a chance to be part of something great with alot of hard work you can be part of history.

just sayin

"Live Free and Play Hard"

I can also say one thing to this post. I have my PMP certification, and I have been involved with the entertainment industry for several years. That post is exactly why the music industry is complaining about losing money. Art is great and fantastic, and if you have worked on a team that isn't a bunch of your friends in your basement, it involves a lot of work to pray a programmer doesn't leave in the middle of a project and you have no idea what he was working on it. Management is a big deal, especially for this form of video game art. No so much in the minor indie development, but it's huge in MMO development. This guy has a niche and I hope he does well. Its hard being a good manager, especially underpaid, but it's vey rewarding.

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 12, 02:13:00 PM »

posting on this is like beating a dead horse with another dead horse..this post is 2 months old

ddougher

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 12, 03:01:59 PM »

A brief thank you to those who saw fit to defend my post.  I have been busy dealing with some of the replies I did get to this and similar posts I made to a couple of other forums.

For those whose projects which might be a bit further along now and are encountering some of the issues I outlined -- the e-mail address still works...  :D

To the one person who thought I was trying to poach a job when I have no other skills...
I have been working in software for over thirty years as a contractor or an employee.  At last count - and it was a long time ago that I counted - I could program competently in 22 languages, including C, C++ and Intel assembler.  I have managed teams of over thirty people for a Fortune 500 Company and helped to create entire new departments in others. 

I find that the challenges of managing a team remotely to be an order of magnitude greater than trying to manage one where all personnel are required to show up at a place of employment.  For that reason I see an increasing need for people with the skills I have developed.

As for why I would offer those skills to the gaming industry when they are also in demand in other industries that could pay better... I like making games.

DarkOm3n

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Drive
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 12, 02:47:55 PM »

To be honest, I think people would take the thread a little more seriously if you were to invest yourself in the engine and forums a little bit. You have 2 posts 3 months apart offering services that require payment. If you were to come in and help someone having no experience of the engine you can offer no insight on issues developers or artists alike may come across.

IMHO Failing to be able to understand some of these things would make it easier for you as well as better for any staff under you. Deadlines would also be easier to define in a realistic means as you have an understanding of what needs to go into a project of said scope.

Your skills are not in question, but as with different industries as is true with different rendering engines - You can't just cross over to something else and not have to learn something and expect to be in the same position/pay-grade. The lack of posts would suggest you don't frequent here often which (again just imo) would imply to me you don't know the engine well enough to be setting deadlines for teams of developers/artists.

I'm sorry I have a bad habit of being cynical, I don't mean to seem condescending or posting this in a berating manner, more so something you could improve on and perhaps getting you a better chance of making an income here. Personally I wouldn't pay some stranger money with 2 posts on a forum. Especially when one needs to do is learn better personal management skills to achieve the same result. Something like this, requires staff to be invested.
If all else fails rm -rf /*

Vedrit

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 12, 06:28:37 PM »

Having just recently joined the forums, I'd like to add to what DarkOmen said
Reputation, or lack there of, can go a long way.
Having just 2 posts is like asking to be a project lead for a AAA-title producing company/studio, without having made your name known; you may very well have talent and be able to deliver on what you promise, but all youre offering is your word. That can often be difficult to trust

ddougher

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 12, 08:16:17 AM »

An excellent point.  I have not spent much time on these forums, nor have I done much here to prove that I am able to provide the services I offer.  I will take your advice and spend a bit of time to look around and see what help I can offer to those who might need it.

Thanks for the feedback.

As my father says, "It doesn't matter how much you dislike the message.  The real question is, 'Is it true?'"
Pages: [1] 2