HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How do you make interiors in models?  (Read 1440 times)

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
How do you make interiors in models?
« on: Dec 14, 11, 11:42:18 AM »

Im making a Pictish building but I can not seem to figure out how to make an interior.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: How do you make interiors in models?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 11, 12:04:51 PM »

You mean a building where you can walk into? There are a number of ways to make interior buildings; I will give a few examples:

Create a big nice cube of say (x,y,z)=(10,10,10). Now create a new cube with (x,y,z)=(8,10,8) and place it INSIDE the 10x10x10 cube so that on each side, there is 1 meter left (in 3DS MAX, you can use the toggle function for exact placing), except for the height (which should be equal). Select the biggest cube and go to compound objects and use proboolean or boolean (I won't go into details about their difference here). Click on "Pick operand B" and make sure it's on substract.

Select the smaller cube in one of the views and voilą, you created 4 walls of the building. You can do the same for the doors and windows by creating new objects and substracting those from the walls you created.

For a more "round" house, use the same strategy as above, but then with a cylinder or a cone :)

Other method: for each wall, you could create a new cube. This is annoying, cumbersome, and not done by intermediate artists upwards (at least to my extent).

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 11, 11:38:28 PM »

Another way to do it is layout the walls and doorways, then extrude the plane upwards.

Sorry for using Blender. I find it much easier to use. You can do the same thing in Max/Maya.

Of course this is just a simple example.

What does a pictish building look like?
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 11, 11:48:12 PM by Jrome90 »

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 11, 10:20:13 AM »

If your using Max, I find the Shell modifier very useful in creating wall. I just make a box, cut out or delete the polys for doors and windows and apply the Shell modifier, set the thickness and your done.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art