HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] How do I import a world map as opposed to an area?  (Read 4334 times)

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG

I just started diving into this and from what I understand, HeroEngine likes to have 500x500 "areas" which one by itself doesn't really serve as a world sized map.  I already have an existing grayscale (*.jpg) world map that I custom made (was going to use in another game engine) which is 2048x2048.

I have gone through the tutorials and such but I'm holding off on trying to import the height map since Cooper said not to go wild with importing huge terrains right away.  I did want to ask the question ahead of time since I will be working on my project nearly every day and pushing my project forward.

So my question, directed mostly at the HE people, is this: What is the prefered (hopefully easiest) method of importing a larger world map all at once? Please be specific.  Do I need to get L3DT or Terragen or the like to break it up first? If I need to do that is their a way to import all those areas at once? Is it possible to import the whole thing and then break it down into 500x500's? Is there a certain tool (or even panel) to use for this?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 03:22:12 PM by HE-Cooper »
I see it all in my mind.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: How do I import a world map as opposed to an area?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 11, 11:21:53 AM »

we use world machine, a great tool, with many macros. after with this tool we tiled the world an import 1 by 1 in r16 into HE.

well after this u need to link every tiles.

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 11, 12:38:28 PM »

So basically...

World Machine ---> import individual tiles ---> Link tiles ---> Finished HE World map ?

It almost seems like this feature should be built right into Blade.

Will WM work or do I need to get WM2.2 ? Pro version?

Thanks for the reply though, any other suggestions to go along with this?

*EDIT*

Wow, I just checked out WM and the version I need is $189!  I just tapped my bank something fierce for Max 2011.  Sorry to say there is not much money in the pizza delivery business in my area so is there anything out there that will do the same thing for less and with a huge height map? Anything <$100 ?
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 11, 12:49:30 PM by SPayne »
I see it all in my mind.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 11, 04:47:45 PM »

So basically...

World Machine ---> import individual tiles ---> Link tiles ---> Finished HE World map ?

It almost seems like this feature should be built right into Blade.

Will WM work or do I need to get WM2.2 ? Pro version?

Thanks for the reply though, any other suggestions to go along with this?

*EDIT*

Wow, I just checked out WM and the version I need is $189!  I just tapped my bank something fierce for Max 2011.  Sorry to say there is not much money in the pizza delivery business in my area so is there anything out there that will do the same thing for less and with a huge height map? Anything <$100 ?

we start with the basic edition, but after for tiles, we buy a pro version, very very good tools.

This is the Rise of civilizations world ;)

Commando

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 11, 04:15:10 AM »

Just picked up a copy of WM Pro, the price is really good for what it does :) well worth it if your planning on making a big world.
Commando
InvisionLabs
http://www.invisionlabs.co.uk

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 11, 09:54:41 AM »

I've been playing around with WM for a while and I like it. I'm almost convinced I will buy the pro version.

But I have one question ... can I somehow hand-shape the terrain? I'd like to adjust some parts of the map by hand, as I need them to have a specific shape.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 11, 10:58:59 AM »

I've been playing around with WM for a while and I like it. I'm almost convinced I will buy the pro version.

But I have one question ... can I somehow hand-shape the terrain? I'd like to adjust some parts of the map by hand, as I need them to have a specific shape.

Sorta. In WM you can draw rivers, paths, flatten areas, etc with splines. But when it comes to adjusting by hand you want to do that once you are in HeroEngine. The terraforming tools in Hero are the best I have used, it makes editing really easy and intuitive.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 11, 12:35:14 AM »

with WM, u can import a level photoshop pic, also u can draw your world (see my world just 3 posts before).

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 11, 10:23:08 AM »

Gorthek, I'm already using a photoshop pic so I have a nice outline of continents, mountains, islands and so on (don't wanna do the whole detailed map in photoshop, as I doubt I'd be able to shape some stuff like WM does) ... but once I apply some generators and filters, it gets quite what I want it to be, but some areas are just not how I want them ... so far I figured that once I cut the whole world into pieces, I can just leave out those I don't like and do them in HeroEngine instead. What I'd like to do though is to shape them at least roughly the way I need them ... and do pretty much only finishing touches in the engine (I like the terrain tools in the engine, but shaping huge areas with them is a ..."pane in the glass" :P compared to doing it whole with something like WM ... also when I zoom out too much to be able to see my area better, most of it is covered by the fog I can't seem to get rid of :(  ) ...

Stadi, thanks, I'm gonna try the tools you mentioned, I hope it helps ;)

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 11, 10:42:53 AM »

also when I zoom out too much to be able to see my area better, most of it is covered by the fog I can't seem to get rid of :(  ) ...

Environment Window, head down a bit to the Fog Attenuation - Max Density......turn the max density all the way down.  This will get rid of that fog problem for viewing your area zoomed out a bit.  Just make sure to turn it back on later.

As for the topic itself. I've been using L3DT and been working out quite nicely.  I tried WM but for some reason I just couldn't grasp it, but the price deterred me from trying for too long lol.  Maybe it was just the basic version not doing the trick for me.  Down the line, might try it again if I get some extra funds for it but L3DT is doing the trick.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 11, 05:25:55 PM »

LastJudge, the lightbulb in the bottom left of the HeroBlade, with the collision off toggle and such, has a similar function to what you describe, though obviously changes the coloring with blown out light.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 11, 06:16:20 PM »

You mean that mega bright light I never found any use for? :)

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 11, 10:56:14 AM »

It removes the fog when enabled.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 11, 02:50:37 PM »

It removes the fog when enabled.

Don't worry, I understand that now :) Thx for help btw ;)