HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Can I use CG textures for my game?  (Read 6709 times)

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Can I use CG textures for my game?
« on: Dec 17, 11, 11:30:18 AM »

http://www.allcgtextures.com/main.php
Is it legal to use them commercally?

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
Re: Can I use CG textures for my game?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 11, 11:32:17 AM »

you may have to ask them...each website is different in terms of offering textures.

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 11, 11:39:30 AM »

you may have to ask them...each website is different in terms of offering textures.
But Anything Freeware or For commercial use is ok right?
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 11, 11:41:58 AM by Tarlytegirl »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 11, 11:48:48 AM »

Use www.cgtextures.com to be really sure, as they state:

CONDITIONS OF USE

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

And the website you pointed out didn't say where they got the textures, nor do they have any legal page. I would stay clear from there, but that is just me :)

Tarlytegirl

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 11, 11:50:51 AM »

Use www.cgtextures.com to be really sure, as they state:

CONDITIONS OF USE

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

And the website you pointed out didn't say where they got the textures, nor do they have any legal page. I would stay clear from there, but that is just me :)
Ok thanks

tugowar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 11, 12:13:04 PM »

I am a lawyer, but this is my personal opinion.  I am not giving you advice.  None of you are my clients.  You need to consult your own legal consel.

If I were looking at this website, I would say:
http://www.allcgtextures.com/main.php

They are stating that they are free textures and putting them in the public domain.
They are not reserving any rights to themselves and have not stated copyrighted.  Generally, if there is no statement as to copyright, you need to assume that all rights are reserved / no use without permission to be on the safe side.  However, they have proactively stated they are free in this case.
Therefore, I can use them however I want, including commercially.

And because I'm a laywer, I would have printed the webpage to PDF in case I ever needed to prove that it was public domain...

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 11, 12:26:46 PM »

My legal counselor (family for the win, right?):

The link to their domain "allcgtextures" resembles "cgtextures" greatly, and it *could* be that the creators of the former downloaded and placed the textures from the latter on their/his/her own website.

Extreme example:
I created a GDD, and I gave it to a person. That person now decides to put my GDD on a public domain, free of charge and thus freely downloadable. Safe to assume that you are allowed to use it? No. As a lawyer, you should know that the original source must be known.

EDIT:
I have found a texture that looks a lot the same on both websites already.
EDIT2:
Most of the textures look self-made, and I can't find any others that look the same. There is more proof that the website is thus actually good to use. I'm going to contact the owner, or at least try to.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 11, 12:38:36 PM by dwight.gijzen »

tugowar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 11, 12:50:06 PM »

This is why I put the personal opinion / need to get your own counsel disclaimer line.  :)  

As an aside, you can be sued for anything.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they have grounds to sue you (friviolous suits).  Still, frequently you did something that has some degree of liability, but maybe just slightly less as frequently, you have a defense or a good reason why you did it.  In which case, the case doesn't normally see court.  Doing anything involved legal risk, but you just do the best you can minimze it.  

I agree that in a perfect world, you need to know the creator.  But you are rarely ever going to know the original source on the internet.  Anyone can say its there work.  I say that not as a relief from liability - but just a statement that you are going to have some degree of risk whenever you are using online sources.  

I agree that if a 3rd Party removes the copyright notice and then redistributes it into the public domain, that you are not relieved from copyright liability if rely on the 3P's representations.  However, in such a case, you are in a pretty strong position.

Insufficient notice:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000401----000-.html
Leads to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000504----000-.html#c_2

Further you would argue abandonment if they aren't going against the 3P already.

I would be amazed if a case like that ever resulted in a law suit; if it ever got beyond a cease and desist letter when you actually do cease upon notice of a copyright.

Even if it it was from CG Textures (which is likely juding by the design and content), CG has an open license for game devs, so it doesn't matter.
http://www.cgtextures.com/
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 11, 12:54:32 PM by tugowar »