HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a new computer  (Read 4863 times)

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
Re: Building a new computer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 11, 10:11:40 PM »

My laptop uses an I7 Mobile Extreme Edition and it smokes anything I throw at it.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 11, 07:56:06 PM »

I guess my question with the workstation cards if you are dealing with MMO style models do you get anything extra out of a workstation card versus say using Maya to make movie level animation or CAD?  I honestly don't know if it is any better in that area and I do know at least from a gaming perspective $$ to $$ the gaming/desktop cards are much better in that arena.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 11, 09:16:35 PM »

Thankfully, the prices for good workstation graphics cards start at $500 US and go up to about $9000 US, so it dissuades most people.  Because most people SHOULD NEVER BUY THEM :)

Never, ever buy a workstation graphics card because optimizing for realtime performance (read: "game" or "consumer" or "video") is not the first goal of these cards.

Real workstation graphics cards typically have OpenGL-specific features enabled that are not available or only available in reduced functionality on consumer cards, provide minimal or zero Direct3D support, are more precise, are usually slower in surprising ways, provide better driver support to customers, and provide a higher level of driver compatibility for the top 10 CAD / DCC apps, e.g.: AutoCad, Max, Maya, ProEngineer, Catia, etc.

Even for most shops that do DCC work, they do not want to choose workstation graphics cards.

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 11, 07:25:32 PM »

In most cases, I personally prefer a high end desktop GPU. (256 Bit or Better)

How nvidia versioning works:

(generation)(Card Power)

For example:

GeForce 285 is more powerful then a GeForce 350

I often only buy X80/X85/X90/X95

I tend to stay away from X00/X10/X30/X50/X60

The X in these being  the versions: GeForce 2XX/3XX/4XX/5XX/6XX

Hope this helps.

joshwebb84

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 11, 02:46:23 AM »

I would have went with the Intel I7 over the AMD as the I7 has eliminated the FSB bottleneck.

I not an AMD fanboy by no means but AMD removed the FSB long b4 Intel as even while intel had just made the Core Solo's and Duo's none of AMD's CPUs have had FSB for a long while

AMD cpus go by MegaTransfers per SECond(MT/Sec) rather than a FSB and have long b4 the i3/i5/i7 cpus google it
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 11, 02:52:34 AM by darkone84 »

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 11, 03:47:40 PM »

In most cases, I personally prefer a high end desktop GPU. (256 Bit or Better)

How nvidia versioning works:

(generation)(Card Power)

For example:

GeForce 285 is more powerful then a GeForce 350

I often only buy X80/X85/X90/X95

I tend to stay away from X00/X10/X30/X50/X60
The x60 series is pretty solid.  In general the 256 bit rule is a solid one.  I have an older 5750 (ati) that is 128 bit and it does fairly well, I mostly go for 1 power pin video cards as they tend to produce a lot less heat and noise and the next generation of cards are just about out the door, but to each their own.  Cards around the $170-$250 range are pretty solid gaming video cards.  As far as HeroEngine goes, it is somewhat CPU heavy so upgrading your CPU will net you a fair amount of gains there as well.  I nearly doubled my low spec machine just from going from a single core AMD to a dual core C2D chip (lower end one) and gained quote a bit as well going from the C2D chip I had to a 2nd generation i5 (2500k) and it isn't even overclocked yet (same video card as before).
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation
Pages: 1 [2]