HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Trying to Run HeroEngine in Virtual Box  (Read 2892 times)

38darkness42

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Trying to Run HeroEngine in Virtual Box
« on: Dec 17, 11, 11:29:48 PM »

Seeing that HeroEngine is being supported for mac as of right now, I decided to download virtual box and have a virtual machine of Windows 7 on my MacBook. When I launch it, I get the error "Initialization of 3D subsystem failed" error.

I know this has to do with something of the virtual machine, is there anyway around it? I checked the Wiki and found a page but it didn't really help that much.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 12, 08:33:50 PM by HE-Cooper »

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
Re: Initialization of 3D Subsystem Failed Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 11, 12:58:08 AM »

I assume its due to the fact that Hardware Visualization does not support 3d hardware acceleration. I ran into this running Virtual Private Servers in the past. (not hero engine related)

Raven

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 11, 01:17:44 AM »

Virtual box doesn't support hardware acceleration as WoE-Byron said. However if you really want to try running it on a mac you can try using VMWare. Note that HE may not run well in this kind of an environment. But it's worth a shot I suppose. Let me know how well it runs if you do manage to get it to work.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 11, 03:35:45 AM »

I have tried Virtual Box and VMWare, but for me Parallels Desktop worked best. Check it out, I hope it helps you: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
Re: Trying to Run HeroEngine in Virtual Box
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 11, 02:21:52 PM »

From what I understand even after the mac client update there is going to be no heroblade support for Mac.  If you are serious about moving forward you probably should just bite the bullet and install bootcamp/Windows or get a cheap PC to do your development on.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 11, 04:30:09 PM »

Only game client is supposed to support Mac. But I think virtual machine could handle heroblade (but bootcamp would be a better choice - I think it's better than buying another machine just for windows too)

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 11, 10:52:02 PM »

+1 for Bootcamp