HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Ragnarok Style mmorpg ?  (Read 2579 times)

Konkeron

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Ragnarok Style mmorpg ?
« on: Dec 22, 11, 08:35:45 PM »

Is that possible to create a Ragnarok Style mmorpg with heroEngine ? 
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 12, 01:01:22 PM by HE-Cooper »

Tekniko

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Ragnarok Style mmorpg ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 11, 11:56:05 PM »

Oh course!  Locking the camera to RO's range should be pretty easy.  Then its just a matter of adding your graphics and systems.  RO doesn't even use 3D models, aside from housing and terrain, so characters and monsters shouldn't take long to create.
Action figures sold separately!

Caldenfor

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 11, 01:39:20 PM »

I have been looking for a project working with a fixed camera like that. I think to get the truly deep MMORPGs that people are desiring it should first be done in a fixed camera style presentation. It allows the developers to focus on the immediate issues rather than the surroundings. Once these systems can get refined then it may be easier to transition into a full free camera 3d experience.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 11, 01:42:52 PM »

Well, as pointed out above, ragnarok is using sprites, and our engine is definitely not focused around 2d assets, but the fixed camera is easy. Our social ref world is pretty close to a modeled version of ragnarok.

Caldenfor

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 11, 09:03:51 PM »

I hear it is actually easier, for some concepts at least, to go with 3d over 2d any ways.

I saw someone do a replica of a scene from UO, but with full 3d and it looked pretty sweet. Sadly, don't think that project is going to go any where. I believe they were using their own engine too.

Holidays and trying to return to school are keeping my time occupied, but I would like to get myself into world building with hero engine(I am not an artist) and see what I can do with the fixed camera view as it has a lot of untapped potential.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 11, 09:05:52 PM by Caldenfor »