HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Animating in place  (Read 3519 times)

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
[Resolved] Animating in place
« on: Dec 28, 11, 12:50:04 PM »

Hey all,

I was just wondering...when I went to school they taught to do the run/walk cycle in one place..not moving. I was wondering if it is possible to do that, or does the character have to be moving in the animation for hero to move it?. If you are confused by this..I meant the walk/run cycle is done with the motions of them doing the walk/run, however they are in there original origin
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:05:39 PM by HE-Cooper »

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
Re: Animating in place
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 11, 12:59:21 PM »

It has to be moving in Heroengine.  I am pretty sure there are some details in the wiki about the movement animations.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 11, 01:19:56 PM »

When you create your animations in Max or Maya, you will want to keep the biped at the origin with all walk/run/jump and combat animations fixed in place at origin. HeroEngine will move the SRB (root bone) thus moving the character in game.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 11, 01:29:29 PM »

Thank you very much  ;D

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 11, 08:34:36 PM »

Speaking from experience, it is particularly important to watch that root bone.  We've had some idle animations where the feet slide around due to the root bone moving in the animation.  Also, for animations that do move the character around, be sure they return the root bone to its original spot or else every time the anim is played in engine it ends up moving the character a bit, annoying when you want them to stay put.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 11, 08:38:27 PM »

I'm trying to clean up many of the animation pages currently. They are some of the most confusing. Problem is we are transition from purely the HeroEngine where we had multiple versions of source code in the field that we had to keep all the information online for, and the HeroCloud, where we are trying to limit confusion.

Okay, I've updated the character animation movement page to actually be accurate. Yay.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Character_Animation_Movement
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 11, 08:58:34 PM by HE-Cooper »

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 11, 09:15:57 PM »

thank you cooper, that last wiki was a bit confusing and I just wanted it to be clear before I proceed in animating. Again you never stop amazing me with the quick responses and the feeling that you care about the people asking the questions. I hope you have a great holiday, you deserve it

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 11, 10:17:16 PM »

if I am not mistaken, Cooper re-updated the animation wiki http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Character_Animation_Movement is what he has displayed on this thread