HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Vertically Stacked Areas  (Read 2896 times)

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Vertically Stacked Areas
« on: Dec 30, 11, 12:20:30 AM »

We are familiar with zones being horizontal, but say you wanted a vertical stack of zones, how would you go about this?  I was discussing what would happen if someone got the IP to The Death Gate Cycle book series.

One of several worlds was a Dyson sphere, with several small suns inside, this made tree's several miles tall, and the foliage was so huge that lakes formed on the branches of the tree's due to sheer size.  The branches inter wove and became solid, and thus became like shelves.

Anyhow, as people come up with more diverse and creative game worlds the need for verticle stacking will be needed.  Any suggestions on how to do this?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:00:43 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Question for the dev's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 11, 12:33:39 AM »

I believe people have asked similar questions about verical worlds in terms of doing space games.  If you search around the forums, you might find those discussions.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 11, 11:49:54 AM »

If I understood them, they used just rectangle zones, stood on end.  Since space is fairly empty, there are few assets compared to standard MMO game worlds which have mobs, resources, tree's, plants and such which has higher density along one plane.    What I was looking for is a higher density usage, so instead of being like a box with a density in one axis, it would be more like an apartment building with even density along the horizontal and vertical axis.

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 11, 09:33:40 PM »

Understand, thanks

Once we get into dev we will try a rough floating city zone and see how it handles packets and lag.
Afterwards i will let you know how it works and what works and doesn't.   
We are going for a hybrid Sandbox/Themepark game world, and mixing other features from different types of games.  Nothing is set in stone and we really aren't following the crowd on how to do things.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 11, 11:20:43 PM »

I don't know how you'd see how it was handling packets, but the problem is not one of performance, simply whether our seamless 2.0 system handles offsets in all XYZ. It supports non Euclidean geometry, I'm just not sure if areas stack in the Y axis like you'd expect them too. Truthfully, vertical stacked zones of a city are probably better handled with game design tricks than actually building kilometers of vertical real world scale. But ill check out the Y axis when I'm back at a machine with a blade installed next week.

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 11, 12:01:06 AM »

Thanks HE-Cooper, I am not our programmer so my terminology might be askew. 

I look forward to hearing what you find out.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 11, 12:43:05 AM »

probably better handled with game design tricks than actually building kilometers of vertical real world scale

You know, that's an interesting point.  I'm reminded of the old '60's Batman series, when they would "climb" the side of a building on a grappling hook.  Of course, they were really walking horizontally with the camera turned sideways.

So, if the Y expansion does not work out (which could be the case given that activation of rooms is based on x,z coordinates) you could lay things out horizontally but turn everything sideways, including the camera.  I remember there being something in the demo videos about changing gravity, so maybe its direction can be changed, as well.  Then you would simply build with the assumption that X or Z was up instead of Y.

Something to ponder, anyways.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Tecknowolf2

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 12, 07:24:38 PM »

that is an interesting idea, I will let you know when I find something out.