HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Collision Boxes rotated 90 degrees up...  (Read 1061 times)

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG
[Resolved] Collision Boxes rotated 90 degrees up...
« on: Jan 02, 12, 02:32:13 AM »

I have all the Collision Boxes for my models/meshes rotated 90 degrees up.  Ironically, I didn't notice it at first because my first test object was a cube (lol).  Another problem I'm having is that even though my models are textured correctly, they have lost their scale, having had absolute measurements in units before importing to 3DS Max.

I was thinking that there was a way to reset this and correct the rotation problem at the same time as I had come across this before when going through the tutorials.
http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Hero_Export_Guide#HeroEngine_Tutorial_-_Exporting_from_3ds_Max
At the top it says that "transform and scale should be reset" but is this done through commands (buttons) in 3DS Max or is it in the export settings?  Is this the same thing as the Transform and Scale Type-in for setting absolute measurements like if I wanted 500x500x250 units wide I just type it in?

A little ways down it also says this...  "Snap setting should be placed on User defined properties of the object/group if it is intended to have snap properties in game."  Does this mean we can set up whether or not our models snaps to grid in-game? I seem to have issues with snapping to grid as well but that is not anything critical even though I will need to line up certain things eventually.  I've searched for this but it is still unclear to me where this is at in Max.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 12, 02:56:16 PM by HE-Cooper »
I see it all in my mind.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Collision Boxes rotated 90 degrees up...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 12, 07:03:38 AM »

Im guessing this is your first nitty gritty use of Max. I'm not sure I would recommend trying to learn a new engine, game development, and max at the same time. Have you thought about starting with Maya instead? maya has less unintuitive aspects (for many users at least).

Your rotation problem is most likely because Max uses different coordinate space than the rest of mankind. Ie, y and z are swapped.

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG
Re: Collision Boxes rotated 90 degrees up...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 12, 08:05:51 PM »

Im guessing this is your first nitty gritty use of Max. I'm not sure I would recommend trying to learn a new engine, game development, and max at the same time. Have you thought about starting with Maya instead? maya has less unintuitive aspects (for many users at least).

Your rotation problem is most likely because Max uses different coordinate space than the rest of mankind. Ie, y and z are swapped.

Yes on Max although I did use 2007 for a couple things, just not nitty gritty stuff. I've got 2 years towards a a BS in Game Art and Design at Westwood so I'm not shy on the development part, the design is already there.

LOL, and no I would not recommend trying to learn Max, a new engine and game development at the same time  :o .  Even though I didn't get Max until recently, I've been going over the Blade tutorials, especially in scripting, and trying to get my models ready.  Most of my issues are with Max though but I seem to be pushing through what I need to know for the time being.  New things to deal with but I've done it before with other engines.  I can get my models in, with textures but I just need to jump through these last couple hoops then I will be speeding toward making videos.

Yes, I was aware of Max switching axes but I didn't know it was just rotating the mesh and not the collision box.

*EDIT*
Here is the problem I have and every export setting I've tried does NOTHING.

This is what I get in Max...

This is what happens no matter what setting I try when exporting...notice how the "Y" collision box is rotated.  I had to scale up this model in HeroBlade as not even the export option to rescale the model would work.  I can find no options in HB to rotate physics(collision) boxes.

I looked for it but could not find any tutorials that dealt specifically with the export options and their functions...any help, like listing the settings you use or a tutorial that I missed, would be greatly appreciated and I could try those out in the event that I missed something.

I did however figure out the issue with the snap settings.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 12, 12:45:42 AM by SPayne »
I see it all in my mind.