HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Multiverse has Ceased Operations  (Read 2343 times)

mproducer

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Suspicious-Activity
Multiverse has Ceased Operations
« on: Jan 04, 12, 06:07:28 PM »

It was announced that...Effective December 7, 2011 Multiverse has Ceased Operations

I am not surprised by this at all. Way back in 2006 I met with them at GDC and set up a dev account.
At the time I decided against starting an MMO, which I am glad I did postpone.
The most recent update to the Multiverse MMO gaming platform was like 3 years ago.
So now it is going open source, with code that is probably 5 years old with no recent updates.

I am glad I have Hero Engine.

John Nelson
Suspicious-Activity
Developer of "Galaxy of DOOM"

sdbaynham

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse has Ceased Operations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 12, 06:25:48 PM »

Yeah, I knew those guys weren't serious when I found that their "world database" was a table with two columns: ID, and a big bucket with serialized java objects in it.  I remember their lead developer trying to justify it on the forums.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 12, 07:10:57 AM »

I'm still interested to see what could come of their open source move. I'm not sure the framework is there, but maybe if a driven section of the Linux networking community got their hands on it something cool could happen.

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 12, 07:54:08 AM »

I am curious as to what became of their Firefly license agreement... It was the only thing that kept me interested in Multiverse for a time.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art

GM_James

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 12, 08:02:49 AM »

I have messed around with it in the past... There were 2 HUGE turn offs that lead me to drop it. The biggest one was the fact that they were not keeping their promise of releasing updates every 6 months. The other one was in fact the way that things are saved in the database. The current method makes it VERY hard if not impossible to add interactive features on your game's website (Leader boards, Player stats, Auction house, Guild stats, ect).

I however have always wanted to own my own MMO Engine so that I could be completely 100% responsible for the success or Failure of my game. I really hate what ifs and a huge one is what if I spend years working on a MMO, get ready to release it, and the engine's developer doesn't do their part in keeping the engine up to date. (I am not saying I am worried about that with Hero that is just a huge "What if" I have had with ANY engine where I don't have access to the source code.) Now that Multiverse is opensource I am going to be messing around with it on the side and see if I can make the improvements I would like to.

There are some huge negatives to using Multiverse instead of Hero even with the improvements that I would like to make. I would have to get my own hosting and I would have to purchase my own SpeedTree license which are Huge expenses that I currently don't have the funds for. The hosting I will be able to do on my development PC while I am messing around with it on the side... But the $10,000 for a Speedtree license is still a HUGE issue!

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 12, 08:57:47 AM »

I am curious as to what became of their Firefly license agreement... It was the only thing that kept me interested in Multiverse for a time.

I thought another place had taken the project over, but maybe that was just old news about them taking over and using Multiverse.  I havn't followed it much lately.  Loves me some Firefly though ;)

edit: http://www.tentonhammer.com/firefly/news/firefly-online-may-get-a-second-chance?
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 12, 01:12:51 PM by Chromehound »

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 12, 03:09:37 PM »

At least they released it under the MIT license, I thought I was going to check it out and see AGPL and have a good laugh again.  At least if you get running with it you don't have to open up your client/server modifications to anyone that simply requests it. 
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation