HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Simple ability tooltip window  (Read 8295 times)

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Simple ability tooltip window
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 12, 04:57:06 PM »

Greetings,

i'm learning HeroScript right now and your tutorial is the first thing i'm trying.

I keep getting this error:

Code: [Select]
23:54:01: !ERROR!HeroScript::HeroMachine::ScriptError:GOM::getVariableReferenceFromNode (10757): requested node ID (0) not found
The matching line is:
Code: [Select]
 abilityTooltip as NodeRef of Class RoC_GUIskillsTooltip=CreateNodeFromPrototype("RoC_GUIskillsTooltip")
I can't really find the error, probably is something obvious but i'm a newbie. Before i had the class named RoC_GUIskillsTooltip and the prototype named RoC_GUIskillsTooltipPrototype.

I've noticed you gave the same name to both and i did the same too, but it didn't solved my problem. What could i check?

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 12, 05:06:51 PM by RoC_Chobeat »

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 12, 06:04:43 PM »

Are you sure you made no spelling mistake in the name of either the class or the prototype?

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 12, 02:42:44 AM »

Yeah i have copy-pasted them to avoid errors. If i write it wrong on purpose, it returns a different error. Right now it looks like if it returns something, but it can't access the .name and .build fields.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 12, 04:22:52 AM »

Hmm... I don't think I know the cause of your problem :( Have you tried making the whole thing again?

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 12, 04:57:38 AM »

That's what i'm gonna do now.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 12, 05:02:17 AM »

Ok. Let me know of the outcome.

madz370@hotmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 12, 09:23:05 AM »

I might be stupid or something, but well im making my own AbilityBar with my own prefix. To make some changes implementing chat panel compas etc into it. How do you get the buttons and stuff. Becuase I tried to use the same xml code for my abilityBar as for the e_abilitybar.xml, there it states that _panel something adds button holder etc etc. But i dont got anything on my xml file when i look it up in the organizer..

Any help would be neat :) thanks in advance

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 12, 10:13:16 AM »

Open e_abilitybar.xml just as an xml file (either in heroscript editor or download it via repository browser and open with a local application). Now do the same with your xml. Copy the contents of e_abilitybar.xml into your xml (in line 1, there is a kind of declaration .. parent, class etc. ... if you are using your own class for the abilitybar, you should swap it. Pretty much just edit all you need in the line 1. Now save your xml (if you edited it in heroblade, wait for my next sentence) and upload it via repository browser and choose to replace the old xml of your. Now open you new ability bar in GUI editor and do whatever you wanted to do with it.

madz370@hotmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 12, 02:34:42 PM »

Im not quite sure what you mean.. or atleast I think.

I have done that allready and i was thinking of just tweaking the button holders etc to get more of them and in a smaller size and place them at other places etc etc. So im making a CCW_AbilityBar class and also its class method script all is copied from the latter e_ script for now. Just to see if its working as intended.

Then im making a new xml file called CCW_AbilityBar then i open the xml in the script editor. Copying the e_xml into ccw_ xml file. That should be about it right? and then I should be able to open the ccw_abilityBar xml file in the organizer tab and fix the properties right?. Well thats all working and all, but i dont get the _panels. The buttons and the holders which is defined in the xml script.

So i was wondering is this the thing i did wrong and replacing what? Im not sure what to replace cause all i did was copying things from the one to the other. So it should be working right?

Then i guess i have to go into the e_acc something and just put in my prefix to get my own gui ability bar panel.

I have allready done something similar with the chat system and i got all the chat options / window options for the chat right away and i could add more throug code etc etc.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 12, 03:48:55 PM »

The script where you need to change the E_abiltybar to CCW_abiltybar is E_playerAccountClassMethods.

And the GUI thing, it seems strange, I did copy the ability bar xml a while ago to make my own statusbar and it worked without any sort of trouble. I didn't edit the xml via the built-in editor though, but my guess is you need to compile / submit it like a script, right? So my question would be ... when you open your new ability bar in GUI editor, does have at least some structure, or is it completely empty?

Also when you edit your xml, do you change the first line of the code to use your CCW_AbilityBar class instead of E_AbilityBar class?

I'm not sure what else could have gone wrong, I'm not at my developer machine right now, so I can't try to replicate your issue.

madz370@hotmail.com

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 12, 03:53:33 PM »

Yeah i did the exact thing but in the repo browser when i try to view the file there the ccw_abilityBar.xml file then it has nothing more than an empty file and just the other random stuff i was putting in with size in the editor etc. But i used the script and compiled submited yeah.

Im not sure why it doesnt fill that into the repo browser but that seems to be the mistake and currently i dont have a work station because my boss isnt doing anything to give me access to the repo browser as of yet. Or he is on vaccation so I guess im stuck since i can download it but i cant upload the new file..... Frustration.

Anyway that seems to be the issue, but its pretty strange that its changed in the Script Editor but not in the repo browser.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 12, 03:58:13 PM »

Okay, so in repo browser it shows it's size as 0, right?

Download the file to your computer, edit it on your computer, upload it back replacing the old file.

Zasdman

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 12, 12:13:21 AM »

Thank you! Following all your Tutorials, as someone who does not have any knowledge I am slowly learning how to Script.  ohh I do not Copy and Paste... been a few times I had to find my Typos and has helped me even more, Please Keep Making more :)

Zounia

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a simple ability tooltip window
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 12, 07:15:14 PM »

Having problems getting this to work properly, all I get is a white window popping up.
I had several problems following this tutorial, this is my first go around so I am trying to learn so I may not get some of the assumptions.

First step I finally figured out is done in the DOM Editor.

Second step I finally figured out is done in the GUI XML tab of the organizer.

Third step, still have not really figured out what you did in the GUI XML editor, you do not really go over those steps, so that may be where I am missing something. you say you go with default values except for font, size etc., what about position and size of labels?

Where is this script done? Client Scripts? Is this something I have to add, as I could not find it.
5. Open script for MY_AbilityTooltipClassMethods and write code for your labels. This is how mine looks like:

tooltipWindow.background.abilityName
Where does the tooltipWindow part come from?
« Last Edit: May 21, 12, 07:49:23 PM by Zounia »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: How to make a simple ability tooltip window
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 12, 12:16:10 AM »

Having problems getting this to work properly, all I get is a white window popping up.
I had several problems following this tutorial, this is my first go around so I am trying to learn so I may not get some of the assumptions.

First step I finally figured out is done in the DOM Editor.

Second step I finally figured out is done in the GUI XML tab of the organizer.

Third step, still have not really figured out what you did in the GUI XML editor, you do not really go over those steps, so that may be where I am missing something. you say you go with default values except for font, size etc., what about position and size of labels?

Where is this script done? Client Scripts? Is this something I have to add, as I could not find it.
5. Open script for MY_AbilityTooltipClassMethods and write code for your labels. This is how mine looks like:

tooltipWindow.background.abilityName
Where does the tooltipWindow part come from?

Don't start here with these tutorials; these tutorials assume you have a basic understanding of how to create classes and their scripts.

Please start with the Beginner tutorials on the wiki (your first HSL script; how to write a server script... etc)
Pages: 1 [2] 3