HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Solved] Spheric heightmap as a planet is it possible?  (Read 1423 times)

RedNight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Solved] Spheric heightmap as a planet is it possible?
« on: Jan 08, 12, 08:31:51 PM »

Spheric heightmap as a planet is it possible?
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 12, 12:45:42 PM by HE-Cooper »

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Spheric heightmap as a planet is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 12, 01:13:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to make a spheric heightmap.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 12, 08:05:01 AM »

Let's instead ask, what purpose do you want the planet to serve? If its a large planet that players walk on, then you wouldn't want it to be spherical, just like looking out your window the world looks flat. If you want it to be a planet a ship sees from far away, then you wouldn't want it to be spherical, as the ship wouldn't know the difference approaching it, so would be a waste of resources. As for the inbetween, where you transition from space to surface, or have ships entering orbit, you'd most likely want to use illusion and phasing between areas.

If you want tiny planetoids, ala Mario galaxy, where the player sees themselves running around planets, and gravity is changing locally for each rock, that I can imagine wanting spheres for, but handling that kind of changing gravity on the server per rock I foresee as being very complicated, and can't be sure it's possible in the engine.

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 12, 09:45:15 AM »

Cooper, I think small rocks with individual gravity shouldn't be such a problem, but he will need to make range in which the gravity field applies, also make it weaker the far away the character is and rotate the character based on the normal vector of the triangle/quad he is flying above. But I agree that this is too much work and can be most probably solved in another way.

RedNight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 12, 10:32:07 AM »

I undestand you perfectly, you've been helpful.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 12, 11:37:24 AM »

Spheric heightmap as a planet is it possible?

yes it is possible, you just have to be a master at making heightmaps and tiling them. Some guy did what you are trying to do in the Torque forums awhile back. basically your heightmap has to have a slight arc in the overall blank n white gradient, then you would have to tile them. here is dude's blogs, http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/authorID/40622/1
 a couple go into detail on how he made a spherical planet with regular/flat heightmaps